.hack's Altimit OS Clone

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
waraiotoko
Prole

.hack's Altimit OS Clone

Post by waraiotoko »

Hiya,
I haven't posted in about a month, school has been too busy unfortunately. I've picked up an old project of mine, the goal of which is to emulate the looks, feel, sounds and features of a fictional operating system featured in the first four .hack video games. I started making it in Rainmeter, but it was too slow and frustrating so I gave up. Now I'm making it in Love2D, which is fast and easy to use! I'll be posting new videos when I add features, if you've played the games and have recommendations let me know.

EDIT: Added source! Couldn't upload here for some reason, it just wouldn't let me. Too big? Let me know if you found any bugs. Only controls are mouse and "escape" to close a window.

New source as of 1/1/2012
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z2GO9IR6
Last edited by waraiotoko on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: .hack's Altimit OS Clone

Post by TechnoCat »

Long ago I tried making my desktop look like that OS after watching .hack//SIGN.
Very cool looking.
How did you make the spinning icons?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

TechnoCat wrote:How did you make the spinning icons?
I kinda have the same question. I started to look for ways of animate tiles. ;)

Good looking project. I will be glad to see developments on that.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Looks very nice (though I've never played .hack). Are you planning on making it actually "do" anything, or is it just practice and/or eye candy? One suggestion for something practical would be to make that "News" page show RSS feeds.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
waraiotoko
Prole

Post by waraiotoko »

TechnoCat wrote:Long ago I tried making my desktop look like that OS after watching .hack//SIGN.
Very cool looking.
How did you make the spinning icons?
I modeled the icons in Google Sketchup, and used the built in scene/animation tool to make them spin. Google includes a .png sequence exporter so with a little Photoshop cleanup they looked great.
Taehl wrote:Looks very nice (though I've never played .hack). Are you planning on making it actually "do" anything, or is it just practice and/or eye candy? One suggestion for something practical would be to make that "News" page show RSS feeds.
Smart people on this board! Yeah I'm planning to make most of the "applications" functional, and since I'm going in order I'm making the "mailer" app first. Not sure if I want to just read headers or whole messages yet, I don't know the ramifications of formatting emails within a textbox...At any rate News is the only other hard one, and I probably will use RSS feeds.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

waraiotoko wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:How did you make the spinning icons?
I modeled the icons in Google Sketchup, and used the built in scene/animation tool to make them spin. Google includes a .png sequence exporter so with a little Photoshop cleanup they looked great.
What an excellent tip. Thanks.
waraiotoko
Prole

Post by waraiotoko »

Oh man, look how sweet my scrollbars are!

TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Haha, some epic Windows 95 style scrollbars going on!
Kazagha
Prole

Post by Kazagha »

Very impressive stuff, Google Sketchup is a good idea. Good to see it's all coming together.

-Kazagha
waraiotoko
Prole

Post by waraiotoko »

Added a .love to the first post, don't judge me too hard. :)