3D rendering

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: 3D rendering

Post by Jasoco »

I've done plenty of 3D stuff in Löve. Löve really isn't meant for real 3D. But it is good for playing around...

Image Image Image

Of course that's all outdated a bit and nothing is ready for public consumption. I will just say writing a 3D engine is not a cakewalk. There's a lot of stuff to consider. A lot of research to be done.

iPoisonxL wrote:It's not simple. It is, Love2D. Requires lots of maths and stuff. Just thought I'd let you know. If you're really experienced in that kind of stuff, then I'm sorry, I'm no help.
Actually, nitpick here, just the website is Love2d. The program is just Löve. But yes, its mainly meant for 2D stuff.

Unless you're me. Or one of a few other enterprising tinkerers on this site.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Jasoco wrote:But yes, its mainly meant for 2D stuff
what about making an 1D Engine?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

jjmafiae wrote:
Jasoco wrote:But yes, its mainly meant for 2D stuff
what about making an 1D Engine?
Easy as pie.

But I've seen a 1D game. I think that gimmick has pretty much run its course. It's something you really can only do once before the novelty wears off.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

ins't pie hard?
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

jjmafiae wrote:ins't pie hard?
This is getting off topic, but no. The saying is easy as pie, implying pie to be easy.
Your screen is very zoomed in...
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i still think you should use a 3D engine for this.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

Love2D is only a framework for LUA making it easier to create GUI stuff. That doesn't mean you can't script 3D on it.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

spynaz wrote:Love2D is only a framework for LUA making it easier to create GUI stuff. That doesn't mean you can't script 3D on it.
It's just not optimized for it. At its base, 3D is mainly just math. But real 3D requires a lot of math. LuaJIT helps a lot and boosts FPS by about 2-4x or so, but it's still not gonna give you a real 3D engine.

But it's fun to play around with it.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

Jasoco wrote:
spynaz wrote:Love2D is only a framework for LUA making it easier to create GUI stuff. That doesn't mean you can't script 3D on it.
It's just not optimized for it. At its base, 3D is mainly just math. But real 3D requires a lot of math. LuaJIT helps a lot and boosts FPS by about 2-4x or so, but it's still not gonna give you a real 3D engine.

But it's fun to play around with it.
Ok then, say that I wanted to play around with it. How would I render 3D in LOVE?
iPoisonxL
Party member

Post by iPoisonxL »

Unity is incredibly simple. It's pretty surprising how quick and easily you can make a first person shooter.

Just a suggestion. I understand how you'd want to create 3D with LÖVE. It's pretty awesome if you do it successfully (not speaking from knowledge, of course. I've never done any 3D in LÖVE).

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website