wiki DISPLAYTITLE

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
BozoDel
Party member

wiki DISPLAYTITLE

Post by BozoDel »

Sorry to write yet another post about the wiki, but this is something I can't do on my own.

The only thing in the way of my world domination wiki translation plan is that I can't change a page's DISPLAYTITLE. It probably has to do with this, but that goes too deep in the wiki structure, I can't/shouldn't mess with it, so I hope the big guys will help. Also, I don't know if altering the DISPLAYTITLE would screw the way links work in the wiki.

EDIT:
Ok, so I went to Wikipedia to see how they do it, and it seems that changing the DISPLAYTITLE does change a page's pagename, so I definitely can't use it. The iPod's page is "IPod", and they use DISPLAYTITLE to change it to "iPod". And Apple's page on Wikipedia links to the other one like this: [[iPod]].

So I still have a question to the big guys. Since I can't change a page's display title, can I put the translated title very big right below it?
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: wiki DISPLAYTITLE

Post by Robin »

I don't really know, but AFAIK, the wiki is mostly self-maintained so basically feel free to go ahead unless and until someone says "You're wrecking the wiki, please stop". Just like Wikipedia's "good faith" doctrine.

(I am not a lawyer in charge of the wiki and this is not legal advice my personal impression which may be wrong.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BozoDel
Party member

Re: wiki DISPLAYTITLE

Post by BozoDel »

To have things work the way I had imagined, I'd have to edit [wiki]Template:i18n[/wiki] and [manual]Template:Lang[/manual].
  • It would take quite some work
    It would require special permissions (and those templates are protected for a reason)
    I can only think of doing it with an inline query, and that just doesn't look as good
On the other hand, if I just put an extra title,
  • it would be hassle-free
    it would be optional (and certainly, in some cases, totally unnecessary)
    it's actually a good idea to have both English and translated titles!