how big can LOVE go?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
hairy puppy
Prole

how big can LOVE go?

Post by hairy puppy »

hello all,

this is my first post here, so 'hello'.
ive really been looking at love2d for some time and now im making the plunge in learning. maybe because my original plan of gamemaker has gone sour and dont have a windows machine, sadly. i had a great game in the works too.
but ive now decided to shift that game to love2d, because of multi-platform coding blah. also saw someone is working on a love2d for phonei/padi, so thats nice

but, my one big question is.
• how big can love2d go? [meaning... how big of a game can you do?]
whilst i do know that it is for 2d, thats fine, i actually love 2d much more to play with than 3d. but its just how big of a game could you do with the engine? even to the scale of your window sizes. from a lot of examples, they mainly seem to be in windowed format and not fullscreen.
but say i wanted to make a game with 1000 levels, each at 6016x6016, with enemies and so forth... how would love tackle it?
i know that programming does play a massive part to how it will run, some code can just make it run slow, but if you look and take a word out etc out, then it works better. i have coded before, so do know the many pitfalls

• how about sound?. can i implement fmod if need be?
im a big sound guy, composed for games and the like amongst tv & radio, so sound is one of my key things. plus games work best when they have nice sounds to go with them, along with a good engine to handle them

but other than those, i do have more. but really. these are my biggest wonders. but if there is anything else you would like to add to shed even more light, then by all means do.
thanks to anyone who can shed light on this as well. and more than likely youll be seeing my mug around here more often.

lewis lepton
------
hairypuppy.wordpress.com
smokingbunny.net

p.s.
if anyone needs a composer or anything like that, im damn great at making music, sounds as well. my sound design has been in many campaigns across the world. so if you want or need someone on board to do those cool things, im your man. you can check out my main sound site, which is www.smokingbunny.net
just send a message
lewis lepton
------
http://smokingbunny.net
hairy puppy
Prole

Re: how big can LOVE go?

Post by hairy puppy »

i did find out some things, such as the fullscreen. but my other questions are still what im looking at. so far LOVE is great, already building some bespoke controls for players and enemies.
lewis lepton
------
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

hairy puppy wrote:hello all,
• how big can love2d go? [meaning... how big of a game can you do?].......
There really should not be any limits to what you can make. Sure you can make 1000 levels and a resolution of 6000x6000 (You wont really be able to find that many computers that can run such a high res though :P).

A few examples:

We (Windmill Games) made Luminosity with Löve - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =245223334

Other games worth checking out include:
http://concernedjoe.com/

and

All games made by http://stabyourself.net/
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

If you're smart about your programming and load only the resources you need at a given moment, there's basically no limits except how long people are willing to wait before your game's download is completed. Also with smart packing very large levels won't need a lot of space probably, unless all of those levels are entirely hand-drawn, which is more of a question of "how much time are you willing to put in" than anything else.

You're probably going to be held back by your own programming abilities more than anything else, which seems to be a given for any project people work on; computers scale way better than your ability to organise your work does.
hairy puppy
Prole

Post by hairy puppy »

aye i have seen all 3 of those games you mentioned. all great. i remember waiting for mari0 to come out for years, HA!!! great game.
thats completely fine, so like any other language, you are crippled only by what you know.

thats great guys, thanks for the help.
ive already got some of the main things done for this massive game ive had planned for years and made a few basic versions. but really need something light, but strong to handle it. i was doing c++/openframeworks, but really thats too much on the mind for what i know, which isnt enough for what i need to do, and LOVE has come to mind more than a few times.
so LOVE it is. think ill sell my licence for gamemaker to be honest ;)
lewis lepton
------
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

hairy puppy wrote:aye i have seen all 3 of those games you mentioned. all great. i remember waiting for mari0 to come out for years, HA!!! great game.
thats completely fine, so like any other language, you are crippled only by what you know.

thats great guys, thanks for the help.
ive already got some of the main things done for this massive game ive had planned for years and made a few basic versions. but really need something light, but strong to handle it. i was doing c++/openframeworks, but really thats too much on the mind for what i know, which isnt enough for what i need to do, and LOVE has come to mind more than a few times.
so LOVE it is. think ill sell my licence for gamemaker to be honest ;)
I would really recommend Löve. The framework is easy to get into and we have a very good community :)
Btw, I sent you a PM!
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

Pretty big, pretty deep.

This might be helpful: http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 56#p166356
hairy puppy
Prole

Post by hairy puppy »

the pixel animation is perfect ;)
lewis lepton
------
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I wrote a system a few years ago for automatic loading and unloading of the world, designed in such a way that only the part of the world you're close to is loaded at any given time. It used several threads to keep different parts of the world loaded at different times to update parts of the world that you aren't close to as well (just less frequently) and it worked quite well and wasn't that hard to write. So I'd say there's no real size limit in LÖVE; the only limit is yourself.

...wait a minute, that sounds familiar...

Ah, of course.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

hairy puppy wrote: 1000 levels, each at 6016x6016
You could can definitively do that, but you would have to be careful about how memory is used. LÖVE lets you shoot yourself in the foot: if you try to load all those levels from the beginning, it will just fail, it won't tell you "you are trying to load too much stuff in memory at the same time, perhaps you should load and unload some parts after each level?".

Also, I'd take quality before quantity any time. Give me 8 good levels instead of 1000 mediocre ones.
OttoRobba wrote:Pretty big, pretty deep.

*HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE*
* chuckle *
When I write def I mean function.