LovePackaging v0.3.1 - Build executables and distribute them

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Guard13007
Party member

LovePackaging v0.3.1 - Build executables and distribute them

Post by Guard13007 »

Now including automatic build numbering, automatic Info.plist generation, and custom config file specifying optioning thinging!

Quick Version:

LovePackaging is a config and script to make packaging your LOVE-based games as simple as double-clicking or typing "build". Then you only need to upload them somewhere, and BAM: Multiplatform distribution!

1. Click this link: https://github.com/Guard13007/LovePackaging
2. Read what it says about how to use it there.
2a. Remember that only the Linux (and Mac) versions work right now.
2ab. The Mac version requires that you install wget yourself. If you don't know how to do this, Google is your friend.

Rambly Version:

Well, you have to distribute them yourself, and it currently only works on Linux (haven't made a Windows script yet, dunno if/when/how I might make a Mac version since I don't know much about the Mac way of doing things), BUT ANYHOW: I have made a script for making games in Love2d easier.

Basically, you copy this over to where your source is (or anywhere really, it doesn't actually matter where it resides), then edit the config file to specify where you want things to go, and finally, when ready, run the build script, AND BAM: You have ZIP packages with executables for Windows 32/64 bit, OS X, and a Linux ZIP (containing the files you want to include with your .love file).

Eventually I hope I can come up with a better system for the Linux ZIP packages, and possibly the others, but anyhow, this is what I have so far, hope it is useful, and someone could help me make it better.

https://github.com/Guard13007/LovePackaging
Last edited by Guard13007 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
artofwork
Citizen

Re: LovePackaging - Build executables and distribute them

Post by artofwork »

Thanks for the contribution :)

I believe the script you have there can be altered slightly to work for a windows os, it was just a quick glance.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

First of all Mac is based on BSD and is (mostly) UNIX-compliant, so your bash should work unless it uses some dependencies that are not installed in the default mac environment.
EDIT: wget is not installed by default, I don't know if there is a working version of zip on Mac. However I guess most love devs will have installed wget anyway.

Secondly I would not call config.txt a .txt when really its a shell script; just give it a .sh.

Thirdly thanks!

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Guard13007
Party member

Post by Guard13007 »

artofwork wrote:I believe the script you have there can be altered slightly to work for a windows os, it was just a quick glance.
You know what, PowerShell. I keep forgetting it exists and I might be able to modify for that instead of resorting to a batch script. Thanks for making me think to look into that.
S0lll0s wrote:First of all Mac is based on BSD and is (mostly) UNIX-compliant, so your bash should work unless it uses some dependencies that are not installed in the default mac environment.
EDIT: wget is not installed by default, I don't know if there is a working version of zip on Mac. However I guess most love devs will have installed wget anyway.

Secondly I would not call config.txt a .txt when really its a shell script; just give it a .sh.

Thirdly thanks!
I knew it was similar, I wasn't sure how similar. I'll have to figure out how to make it auto-install wget if it isn't there by default, and ultimately I want it to auto-install any of its dependencies if required, as some distributions of Linux don't have these things by default either.

As for the config being a txt file, the point of that was to make it as simple as possible. However after giving it another thought, you're right, I should at least expect the user to be able to edit a shell script in this case.

You're welcome! :D
Guard13007
Party member

Post by Guard13007 »

Version 0.2:
- Mac packages are named properly instead of just being called love
- Spaces allowed in paths / versions / package names
- config.txt replaced with config.sh (more appropriate)
- ZIP files created without extra attributes (and hopefully without Mac crap, untested)
- better error handling (stops instead of trying to continue whilst broken)
- better output / status, doesn't fill your screen with individual names of files being zipped/unzipped
- added option to switch between curl and wget (DO NOT USE, CURL OPTION DOES NOT WORK)

https://github.com/Guard13007/LovePacka ... s/tag/v0.2
Guard13007
Party member

Re: LovePackaging v0.2 - Build executables and distribute th

Post by Guard13007 »

Version 0.3:
- Info.plist is generated from config.sh instead of having to be edited manually.
- Automatic build numbering has been implemented!
- Custom config.sh file can be specified.
- Mac stuff is separated out so multiple builds can be completed at once.
- Displays a friendly fortune when finished (if you have fortune installed).
Guard13007
Party member

Re: LovePackaging v0.3 - Build executables and distribute th

Post by Guard13007 »

Version 0.3.1 released to fix really stupid mistakes I made with 0.3

*hates self for not testing properly*

Also removed custom config part cause it was utterly broken.