A Lövely Call to Action.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
SiENcE
Party member

Re: A Lövely Call to Action.

Post by SiENcE »

I would also appreciate to have a solution for lua and löve libraries. Just the list is not enough for newbies, to know whats the current state of the lib, is the lib actively maintained, are there any better libraries, do they work together with other libraries, aso. Without actively following the scene for a long time, it's hard to know where to start.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

One thing that would've helped a lot is to structure the Projects and Demos section better. Splitting games and libraries is a good start.

After finishing my WinRT port, I might make a Löve tutorial, I've wanted to make one a long time.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

I think it would be cool to make a site for love2d libraries and have it where there is a lot of cool features. Like the love version it was made for or other cool fun things. lol. Make it more user friendly. Unless we are allowed to change how the wiki works. Is there a repo for the wiki?
P.S I can't make websites so i wouldn't be able to do it. :P
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

bobbyjones wrote:I think it would be cool to make a site for love2d libraries and have it where there is a lot of cool features. Like the love version it was made for or other cool fun things. lol. Make it more user friendly. Unless we are allowed to change how the wiki works. Is there a repo for the wiki?
P.S I can't make websites so i wouldn't be able to do it. :P
Hmm.... A löve package manager? That could either be a good idea or further fragment the community, and underlying library tech. Ideally it would not be needed to use the libraries it supports so people can objectively choose whether to use it or not.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Not a package manager even though that would be pretty cool now that you mention it. Just a website for libs. Like a central hosting place that looks nice and is easier to maintain. Then the community can assign like two or three admins for the site. They will make sure everything is working and maintained.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

I’ve never looked into the code for LuaRocks (or any alterntives) but would it be feasible to use it for LÖVE instead of rolling our own package manager?
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

A package manager can be made in lua easily I would think but that seems overkill to me but maybe we can make one anyway?
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

ejmr wrote:I’ve never looked into the code for LuaRocks (or any alterntives) but would it be feasible to use it for LÖVE instead of rolling our own package manager?
I added a whole manifest for love already :) https://rocks.moonscript.org/m/love
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push