Drastic performance difference between different machines?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rougan
Citizen

Drastic performance difference between different machines?

Post by rougan »

Hey there,
So I've been testing my game around on different computers to get an idea of performance, and I've found that the game either runs very nicely (500+ fps) on Computers that typically have an i3 or above, even with integrated graphics. However, other computers I have tried that use Pentium 4, Celeron or generally anything under an i3 experience a massive fps drop to < 5 fps which of course is pretty unplayable ):

I was wondering whether it is optimisation issues in my code (these slow computers struggle to draw a single 250 quad sprite batch on its own so it seems unlikely) or if this is just the nature of Love/Lua and lower end machines suffer? If so, do I just need to kick up the min requirements for release? I feel very conscious that a 2d game should not be this demanding on hardware! :?

Sorry for being so wordy, any help is really appreciated thanks alot!
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Drastic performance difference between different machine

Post by kikito »

I would recommend that you start by putting your current .love somewhere (you can upload it on the forum, if it's not big enough). Others can try your .love and see if it works well on their pentiums. They can probably also look at the code to see obvious faults (like fonts being generated every frame).
When I write def I mean function.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

You would have to profile your code and see what takes the longest time and try to optimize it. Even if you share your code without proper profiling it will be useless.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I'm wondering if the slow computers are using CPU-based GL (software rendering).
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

Like Kikito said, I would post your .love here and let people test the frame rate... I am personally stuck on a older, and much slower pc right now because my kids bumped my coffee over on my laptop....... Anyways, I could test on this pc(as long as you're not using a canvas) as well so you have a low-end benchmark result too.

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
rougan
Citizen

Post by rougan »

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try and do some profiling and then post for some feedback! :)