Game does not run on one Windows 7 machine

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
francismoy
Prole

Game does not run on one Windows 7 machine

Post by francismoy »

Hi!

I've distributed a game for Windows and up to now, it's only failed to execute on one machine with Windows 7. The machine is around 6-8 years old (I don't remember exactly). The problem is that upon double-clicking the .exe, nothing happens. The window where the executable resides gets frozen (although the machine continues working) and if I open the Task Manager, I can see the process is there.

I've tested the game on other machines (one running Windows 7 as well), and it works perfectly. Anyone has ever experienced this? Can it be related to an antivirus preventing the program to be launched? Do you think it is related to the OS, or the graphic card drivers? Unfortunately, I have no access to the machine right now so I cannot give more details about the graphic card model, but I will as soon as I can.

Thanks.
FM
Tricky
Citizen

Re: Game does not run on one Windows 7 machine

Post by Tricky »

What I wonder is, can you provide a test "build" for us, so we can see for ourselves if it is really the game that causes you to suffer or if it is something in your PC? (Honesty requires me to say I'm a Mac user myself, I have Windows 7 on a VM. I do have a "real" computer with Windows 10, but that is only a the system itself, so I must disconnect my Mac and all external hardware and plug it in the Win PC, and that is quite some hassle, but I'm sure other windows users might be willing to try). ;)
bobismijnnaam
Prole

Post by bobismijnnaam »

First thing to do is check if your drivers are up to date. Another thing you can try is launch it from the command prompt, and see if love2d prints any errors.
taart
lc = love.timer -- love.chrono :-)
Tjakka5
Party member

Post by Tjakka5 »

Its just a idea; I have no idea if it would result in such a error.

You may have compiled Love for a 64bit system, while your windows 7 system is 32bit.
francismoy
Prole

Post by francismoy »

Thanks for your answers.

Firstly, I must say I've tested on others Windows 7, and it worked properly :) Also, if I execute the game from the console (or from Sublime with Ctrl-B), the game runs without problem. And @Tjakka5, thanks for the hint, although I made sure that I compiled the proper version (I actually compiled and tested the 2 versions).

As soon as I can have access to the computer again (hopefully by the end of this week), I'll try to update drivers and check it again, and will let you know if I come up with a solution (and the problem...).
francismoy
Prole

Post by francismoy »

Ok, I could come back to the machine and I solved the problem. Surprisingly (at least to me), the problem was finally that Avast antivirus was blocking the game. As soon as I deactivated it, I could execute the game.

Hope it might help someone with the same problem. Thanks for your assistance. :)