I just cannot open Love.exe

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
tom282f3
Prole

I just cannot open Love.exe

Post by tom282f3 »

Hello guys, here is my problem:

First, I installed it and run it directly, Windows gave me an error which tell me the application has been shut.
Then I double click a .love file which is a sample("Hello world" on wiki), another fail Love.exe.
I also tried to use cmd, well, FAIL.
So I uninstalled LOVE and decided to use the portable version.
Guess what? I use it and then FAIL. Same as above.

Can somebody help me? Please help me ASAP, I will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Windows XP SP3 32bit, Pentium R 1.7G(Quiet old), 1.25G RAM, ATI Mobility RADEON 9000.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: I just cannot open Love.exe

Post by veethree »

tom282f3 wrote:Hello guys, here is my problem:

First, I installed it and run it directly, Windows gave me an error which tell me the application has been shut.
Then I double click a .love file which is a sample("Hello world" on wiki), another fail Love.exe.
I also tried to use cmd, well, FAIL.
So I uninstalled LOVE and decided to use the portable version.
Guess what? I use it and then FAIL. Same as above.

Can somebody help me? Please help me ASAP, I will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Windows XP SP3 32bit, Pentium R 1.7G(Quiet old), 1.25G RAM, ATI Mobility RADEON 9000.
You're not supposed to double click .love files, you're supposed to drag and drop them over love.exe
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

tom282f3 wrote:Windows XP SP3 32bit, Pentium R 1.7G(Quiet old), 1.25G RAM, ATI Mobility RADEON 9000.
Do you have the latest drivers on that?
When I write def I mean function.
rokit boy
Party member

Post by rokit boy »

Did you do this?:

Put your .love file on your desktop and a shortcut called love.exe

Type cd Desktop and press enter
then type START NAMEOFYOURFILE.love love.exe
u wot m8
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

veethree wrote:You're not supposed to double click .love files, you're supposed to drag and drop them over love.exe
Wait .... what?

*Chuckles.* Sorry. I've had my stuff set up to use the exe as my default "open with..." for .love files for so long, drag-n-drop feels funny when it's not a development folder.

...Annnnnd, yeah. I've made yet another useless post.

Carry on.
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

...wait, can't you double click on a .love to open it with LÖVE on Windows? lol?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

T-Bone wrote:...wait, can't you double click on a .love to open it with LÖVE on Windows? lol?
Come on, let's not joke with misfortune of Win users. Just happened no one wrote a .reg to script register .love extension or add a auto-register in exe itself. I think in osx extension got registered without doing nothing.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Dude, do not want. When I double-click a .love file, I want it to do the same thing as a .zip file: open in my compressor of choice. If I want to play it I'll drag it onto my Love shortcut, or use my keyboard shortcut from Notepad++.

If Love automatically associated itself with .love files I'd be unhappy about it.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

tentus wrote:Dude, do not want. When I double-click a .love file, I want it to do the same thing as a .zip file: open in my compressor of choice. If I want to play it I'll drag it onto my Love shortcut, or use my keyboard shortcut from Notepad++.

If Love automatically associated itself with .love files I'd be unhappy about it.
LOLOLOL. No. Just no. .love is an extension for Löve therefore it should open in Löve. It should have a Löve associated icon and should open in Löve. This is how I like it. And how it works on OS X. If you want to unzip it, which is not what most people will be doing with .love files most of the time, rename it to .zip or right-click and open in WinZip or whatever.

Doesn't matter though since I run Löve files of my own through the Terminal and right-click on third party .love's to choose which version of Löve I want to open it in. (0.5.0, 0.6.0, 0.7.0, 0.7.2, 0.8.0, 0.8.0 LuaJIT...)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

There is also an automatic file association between love and .love files in Windows AFAIK. It's still really easy to extract the game folder from .loves in Windows because most unarchivers add a right-click menu, so you can just right click and extract.