Reading input (keyboard, mouse) on an unfocused window?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Moonkis
Prole

Reading input (keyboard, mouse) on an unfocused window?

Post by Moonkis »

Well as the title says I'm wondering if it's at all possible within love to read keystrokes, mouse inputs when the game is unfocused (foreground)? isDown, keypressed and keyreleased seems to produce nothing when the window isn't focused.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Reading input (keyboard, mouse) on an unfocused window?

Post by slime »

love (and SDL, the library love uses for cross-platform input) don't have that capability. What sort of thing would you use it for?
Moonkis
Prole

Post by Moonkis »

slime wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:22 pm love (and SDL, the library love uses for cross-platform input) don't have that capability. What sort of thing would you use it for?
Ah, I see. I imagine it being platform dependent. In this case I would use it to create a few graphical twitch/stream tools that are ran in the background, and needs to read the keyboard/mouse/gamepad, outside of Löve2D's scope I'm sure but I thought it was worth a shot to ask.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

You can enable joystick/gamepad input events while the window isn't in focus, at least: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issues/ ... ndow-focus
DarkShroom
Citizen

Post by DarkShroom »

can i add, if it's useful, that i have the same issue everywhere, it's the same on java for example

it's a security issue, it stops you from key logging, in the case of java, you need an OS specific hook, to do that keylogging :P
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

You can also use the FFI to achieve the same thing in löve, probably; it wouldn't be a cross-platform solution though.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.