Can't Run Games?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ry0ngis
Prole

Can't Run Games?

Post by ry0ngis »

Heya There! First forum post!

I haven't cared to make an account until now, but I've been working with love2d for a while and I've just ran into a major problem.
For some reason, whenever I try to run any one of my games, love itself just crashes. Running a game through cmd or by dragging a game onto the love program have both resulted in love crashing.
(If the game runs with a console, windows gives me an error, but if it runs without a console, absolutely nothing happens.)

I've done everything I can to try and get my games to run. I reinstalled love, still didn't work. I tried using the portable version, still didn't work. I was even considering going as far as looking at regedit, but I figured I should post something before I screwed up my PC. (I'm willing to go as far as reinstalling windows if I can't get this to work.)
I remember sublime giving me a couple of strange errors when I tried to run my games with my build system? (It's identical to the one on the wiki.) So maybe that has something to do with it? Otherwise, I'm absolutely stumped.

If anyone can help, that would be awesome!
-ry0ngis

P.S.
I'm running Windows 10
erasio
Party member

Re: Can't Run Games?

Post by erasio »

What's the error?

It doesn't work has a very low chance of someone just randomly knowing the correct answer ;)
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

Can you create an empty "main.lua" file in a new directory and run love against that? if you get a black love window then you know it's not your code. Also are you using the correct architecture version for your system?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

It'd also be nice to clarify whether by error you mean the "love.exe has stopped working" window (which is a crash, not an error), or something else?

Also, do post at least your GPU/Video card specs.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

The screenshot makes clear that there must be a conflict or something between love and Windows somehow. We can yank about specific errors, but as Microsoft does not appear to see fit to show these....

I do support kbmonkey's idea to run love with an empty main.lua file and nothing else. If it crashes again, there is something seriously wrong.
Also do you have another system at your disposal you can try this on. If the same thing happens it could be your code, if it works there, we can at least rule the possibility out it was your code.
ry0ngis
Prole

Post by ry0ngis »

Thanks for all the responses, I'm pretty confident that something must be up with my copy of windows or my computer. Love seems to be working now though? So, yay?

I ran a test game (folder with just a blank main.lua) through the portable and installed 64-bit versions of love2d on my PC running Windows 10 and I ran the same test game using an installed 64-bit version of love2d on my laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. My laptop worked just fine where my PC crashed as usual. (Love.exe wouldn't run any of my games, and lovec.exe would open its console window and then crash. Interesting thing to note though, if I tried to launch the applications on their own, without a game, they would seem to work. I also tried older versions of love, and the same thing would happen.)
Eventually, I downloaded the 32-bit version of love2d and it worked just fine, no problem. A black love window would launch when I ran the test game. Even my normal games would run.

It seems odd to me that I would suddenly need to use the 32-bit version of love when I have been using the 64-bit version just fine-- for nearly a year! Maybe a windows update screwed something over? Maybe some firmware thing?

Here are some of my PC's specs if anyone wants to see if my hardware might've been the culprit:
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 750 W/2GB GDDR5 VRAM

I really appreciate all the help from you guys!