Looking for opinions from people who use MoonScript!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
raii
Prole

Looking for opinions from people who use MoonScript!

Post by raii »

cut the intro: do you feel moonscript a Good language to use with LOVE?

more in depth: moonscript looks pretty promising to cut much of the fat that you work through using lua and seems to make things much neater, but does it do everything better than lua? are there things you feel it overcomplicates on, or weird-to-remember rules that seem a bit arbitrary? like I read about how it uses "\" as lua's colon syntax which was just, so completely weird to see for some reason. plus I don't know if all the syntatic sugar might incentivise bad practices or something like that.

thoughts?
:emo: !
Guard13007
Party member

Re: Looking for opinions from people who use MoonScript!

Post by Guard13007 »

MoonScript favors brevity of syntax above all else. This can be handy and often is, but also allows you to write code that is a pain in the ass to read. (I am most aware of this from following the creator of MoonScript, who commonly writes code that I struggle to understand in his projects.)

I personally use MoonScript because I find its syntax convenient and I don't like having to type "end" at the end of every block, but I also focus on making things readable and longer even when MoonScript offers syntax that is shorter.

If you choose to use MoonScript, you need to be more careful about using brevity as it can sacrifice clarity.
raii
Prole

Re: Looking for opinions from people who use MoonScript!

Post by raii »

yeah that's about what I figured! ms has a lot of really nice sugar but you probably wouldn't wanna eat a bowl that's just sugar. thanks for the input :)