Love Video Library

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Love Video Library

Post by josefnpat »

Jasoco wrote:Nope. Just stick to the tried and true slideshow method. FMV has no place in games like this. I'd argue FMV has no place in games period. I'm looking at you, SquareSoft... and Sega circa the SegaCD.
I quite enjoyed the SquareSoft's FMV in FF8 and so on, but for small indie game devs, where's one going to get the budget to be able to afford CGI anyway? I agree with Jasoco to a degree; FMV rarely has place in games. And when they do, it's probably AAA titles. Go for slideshows.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

josefnpat wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Nope. Just stick to the tried and true slideshow method. FMV has no place in games like this. I'd argue FMV has no place in games period. I'm looking at you, SquareSoft... and Sega circa the SegaCD.
I quite enjoyed the SquareSoft's FMV in FF8 and so on, but for small indie game devs, where's one going to get the budget to be able to afford CGI anyway? I agree with Jasoco to a degree; FMV rarely has place in games. And when they do, it's probably AAA titles. Go for slideshows.
Well, your opinions are very valid and I agree too in some part with that. But are also a bit subjective. Adding a bit of reality of that "FMV has no place in games" I remind that only using RAD technology more than 7000 games already used it and probably a lot more of them will still use it. In counterpoint I think spite that if a lot of games in future will end to be like "we were watching movies" will not of course end use FMV mixing as some Dragon's Lair game as some people probably would think in 80's that FMV videos tech would be the future of videogames. Probably if 3DO/CDi would have success, today reality in gameplay could be more FMV.
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

The old Ninja Gaiden games on the NES is how you do proper cutscenes/movies in 2d games!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

FMV was only popular back then because the consoles and computers weren't powerful enough to render high detail 3D scenes and game companies were currently infatuated with the newfangled "CD-ROM" drive computers and consoles were coming with that could hold a whopping 650MB so they pre-rendered their 3D scenes or video recorded terrible actors onto really low quality video (Sega CD games were like terrible animated GIF's with sound and less colors) and filled up the rest of the disc with it to fill out the game.

For the kinds of games people are making these days, video is overkill.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

While I agree that videos are rarely a good option of games, I just want to point out that slideshows can go horribly wrong too. For example, check out the game "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" if you ever get the chance :neko:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I don't need to check it out. I've seen the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of it.