Black screen on AMD GPU?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
herogameco
Prole

Black screen on AMD GPU?

Post by herogameco »

According to this issue from last year (https://github.com/love2d/love/issues/1821), there was a known AMD bug where Love2D games would load as a black screen on AMD GPUs. My game was affected by that issue, but AMD put out a driver update and it was fixed. However, starting in Dec 2022, I had a handful of players report the same problem. I thought another driver update had fixed this one too, but one of those players just reported the same issue again.

I don't have any AMD hardware to test on, so I wanted to post here and see if any other AMD users are experiencing this issue with their Love2D games in general? Specifically, players report that they can hear the game, but see a black screen with our simple particle shader (removing the shader has no effect). I reported the problem on the AMD support forums back in May, but never heard anything.

I know the issue could possibly be on my end somehow, but given that an AMD driver fixed the problem the first time makes me think it's unlikely.

Potentially relevant info:
  • using version 11.4
  • not drawing to canvas
  • game can be heard but not seen (except shader)
  • only happens on AMD hardware
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Black screen on AMD GPU?

Post by slime »

Can you confirm the AMD graphics driver versions being used by affected users? love.graphics.getRendererInfo will return a string with the driver version as one of its return values.
herogameco
Prole

Re: Black screen on AMD GPU?

Post by herogameco »

They originally said driver version 31.0.12012.10. I asked them to update to 31.0.14057.5006 (or Adrenalin Edition 23.5.2 Driver Version 22.40.57.05), and it still didn't work. However, I just asked them to update to the latest version that was released yesterday, so we'll see what they say.