Licences for Love's Dependencies in a Distributed Work?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
gurok
Prole

Licences for Love's Dependencies in a Distributed Work?

Post by gurok »

Hi,

If I were to create something using LOVE and distribute it packaged up with the LOVE binary, what sort of licensing information would I need to include with it? As I understand it, I should probably mention the fact that LOVE itself is distributed under a zlib licence. Should I also include a mention the licences of SDL, libmpg123, OpenAL and DevIL? What sort of attribution do these components require?
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Re: Licences for Love's Dependencies in a Distributed Work?

Post by Boolsheet »

Yes. For SDL, libmpg123, OpenAL and DevIL you have to mention that they're under the LGPL and distribute a copy of the LGPL. I think you also need to distribute the source if someone (you distributed the binary to) is really asking for it. ;)

The FreeType license requires you to mention that the project "is based in part of the work of the FreeType Team".

The rest is under zlib/MIT/BSD licenses or variants thereof.
Shallow indentations.
kesac
Prole

Post by kesac »

You could probably use this to start off with, gurok: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/src/541 ... icense.txt. It's the license file included in LOVE's source.
Have you met the Child of Winter?
gurok
Prole

Post by gurok »

Yeah, I found that license.txt file in the .zip download (but strangely not installed by the installer). Thanks to both of you. This covers everything I'd considered, plus a few I hadn't. Strange that the license.txt file makes no mention of FreeType.