Should I make my own tilesets or download a set online (with credit of course)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
MaxGamz
Party member

Should I make my own tilesets or download a set online (with credit of course)

Post by MaxGamz »

I am fine with making my own art however I had trouble finding the exact sets I would like, I would like to make my own but I don't feel like I have the skills for it. Especially with the complexity of what I am planning.
togFox
Party member

Re: Should I make my own tilesets or download a set online (with credit of course)

Post by togFox »

You can make your own temporary placeholder tiles and then swap them out later.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
dusoft
Party member

Re: Should I make my own tilesets or download a set online (with credit of course)

Post by dusoft »

togFox wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:47 am You can make your own temporary placeholder tiles and then swap them out later.
For prototyping I usually don't even use real tiles, just squares of different colors and then switch. So I can support togfox's suggestion/approach.
tourgen
Citizen

Post by tourgen »

MaxGamz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:29 am I am fine with making my own art however I had trouble finding the exact sets I would like, I would like to make my own but I don't feel like I have the skills for it. Especially with the complexity of what I am planning.

1) programmer art is a joy and a privilege to behold. Draw a tileset. Upload it here.

2) now you have an idea (sort of) of what you want, and this makes it easier to communicate with REAL artists.

3) release a game with your programmer art or pay a real artist to create a tileset. Your choice. Your move.
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

Please make your own, if you have a little bit of time. They dont need to be good, because if they are shitty enough, someone will jump in to make them better. It is open source, i hope.

Replacement is not difficult.
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool: