Advanced Level Editor

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
kexisse
Citizen

Advanced Level Editor

Post by kexisse »

There is an existing thread (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9392) on a simple level editor, but I'd like to ask people's opinion on a more advanced one. For games that don't use tile systems.

I'm thinking about something with features comparable to the one that was used for Aquaria. Check it out below:
http://javilop.com/gamedev/c-game-progr ... ria-games/
(I thought about using it and IndieLib but it uses Direct3d and so Windows-only)
  • Would making this from scratch be an insane amount of work? Would it be something worthwhile that others could use?
  • Would the editing-on-the-fly work with Löve? (I'm very new to Löve so I'm not sure what the limitations are)
  • Would it be better to just swap development to some engine that has tools for this already?
What do you think?
OmarShehata
Party member

Re: Advanced Level Editor

Post by OmarShehata »

I'm pretty new to Love and Lua as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I don't think it would take an insane amount of work to build something like that. In fact I think Love would make it easier (but when I say easier I'm comparing it to making your own level editor in C++)

I don't see why editing on the fly wouldn't work either.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

You mean like Cobalt? (It's made in Lua aswell)
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Why not using an existing one and writing an exporter/importer or usage library for Löve?