Concerned Joe

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
GungnirDev
Party member

Re: Concerned Joe

Post by GungnirDev »

I played the original flash version and it was pretty glorious TBH.
Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky
Bullets are the beauty and I don't know why
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

I played the original flash version and it was pretty glorious TBH.
Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky
Bullets are the beauty and I don't know why
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Ok so, I just got back home. This was a really overwhelming experience. I think I've met more people this week than I have in my entire life.

I'll be writing up a more in depth post about GDC soon on our concerned joe blog. But for now, I thought I'd give you guys this quick update.

The guys from Gamespot, IGN, Kotaku and all these places never came down to GDC Play, but we did get some attention:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/29/two-k ... erned-joe/

And these guys http://www.gameloading.tv/ who are making a movie about Indie Games filmed us for quite a bit. (We even got a scene where I was pretending to work on Joe and looked up something in the Love documentation just to get Love in there :P)

And basically I had the following conversation nearly 200 times:

"So what's the game made in?"

"Oh, this game is made with love!"

*laughter*

"No seriously, what's it made with?"

"Seriously! It's made with Love! Love is an awesome 2d framework for making games blah blah blah..."
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I imagine it does get old after 200 times. Oh who am I kidding, of course not!
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

bartbes wrote:I imagine it does get old after 200 times. Oh who am I kidding, of course not!
It made for some interesting conversation too. Someone wanted to know how I came across this framework, since not many people had heard of it. So he asked:

"So tell me, how did you find love?"

He then paused, smiled and said "What the fuck did I just say".

A couple developers at GDC knew about Love though, that was nice.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

Great the hear about the response. Wonderful for both your game and LOVE's legitimacy as a development framework. If you ever get time out of what likely is a busy schedule, see about posting something on the LOVE blog.
daviddoran
Prole

Post by daviddoran »

Congrats. Sounds like a great week and you deserve it.
I've had the exact same experience talking about LOVE...I guess it's all part of the quirkiness!

Keep us updated on the top-class work. The devblog is very interesting!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

OmarShehata wrote:The guys from Gamespot, IGN, Kotaku and all these places never came down to GDC Play
That's okay. They're not even the best gaming blogs anyway. Actually, they're the most reviled ones. There are betters.

I cannot wait to try this out. Cannot wait. Solidly built games like this and Mari0 make me really want to finish a game.

I love everything about this game. The voiceover work. The graphical style. The expressions on Joe's face when he accomplishes even the smallest achievements. More games should have the touches this has. It's inspiring.

Is there a release date yet? I can't seem to find anything.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Jasoco wrote:
OmarShehata wrote:The guys from Gamespot, IGN, Kotaku and all these places never came down to GDC Play
That's okay. They're not even the best gaming blogs anyway. Actually, they're the most reviled ones. There are betters.

I cannot wait to try this out. Cannot wait. Solidly built games like this and Mari0 make me really want to finish a game.

I love everything about this game. The voiceover work. The graphical style. The expressions on Joe's face when he accomplishes even the smallest achievements. More games should have the touches this has. It's inspiring.

Is there a release date yet? I can't seem to find anything.
Thanks!

Whenever we were asked, we said "We're hoping to release this later this year", which is a promise that'd be a bit of struggle to keep. I think what'd take the most time is the comprehensive editor we're making that would allow players to edit whatever they want in the game. You can see how the "programmer", or "god" or whatever you want to call him, interacts with Joe a lot in several ways. We want to do all this with the editor, so even players can "hard code" such events, or even make their own. So maybe people could make their own stories/campaigns, especially since we'd have it easy to mod the game.

Another thing I'm imagining would take time is the multiplayer. We're planning on experimenting with some things. Aside from the usual co-op, imagine two players, controlling 1 Joe. Player 1 controls Joe's left leg, and player 2 controls Joe's right leg. So player 1 can only move left, and player 2 can only move right, and to jump both have to press. Might be fun!
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

You're going to let people freely mod this? I've been watching this for a while, but this just got even better.