Gems game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
RPG
Party member

Gems game

Post by RPG »

Allow me to introduce you a little Match 3 game. The game was written for the day (or rather, night) and well demonstrates the possibility of "fake" multithreading in lQuery.
The game is only about 300 lines of code, but it is difficult (perhaps) to understand because of the asynchronous programming. However, this way you can write games with multiple threads without using love.thread.
This code can also be used as a template to create a match-3 games.

.love file:
http://ompldr.org/vOTk3eg
Last edited by RPG on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivan
Party member

Re: Gems game

Post by ivan »

I like the graphics a lot. I don't know if you plan on making a full game but if you do, you would need to add some sort of selection indicator. Kinda hard to tell which gem is currently selected. Other than that, it looks pretty good.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

It might be helpful to tell us how to control your game.

Took a few minutes to figure out that you had to click and drag to swap pieces.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I was just thinking today how I want to make a puzzle game too. Actually I'd been thinking about it forever, but I don't want it to be a clone of anything.

I actually have about half a dozen Match-3 style games on my iPod/iPad. Including Bejewelled and Zookeeper and Piyo Blocks 2 and iJewels and Charmed... okay I have 5. It's my favorite style. And each game brings different modes to the gameplay. Like Piyo that has a neat Disco mode where the blocks change colors at certain times, or Zookeeper which has its awesome Engrish and Charmed that can be rotated in any of the four directions to change the gravity. Plus I can't wait for Bejeweled 3.

I want to create a game, but I need to come up with a hook, not just a copy of what's already done. You know what I mean?
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

So is the multithreading used to allow making moves while the gems are still falling?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Tesselode wrote:So is the multithreading used to allow making moves while the gems are still falling?
If you read his post, you see that he says that the code is an example on how to make an asynchronous game without using threads.
RPG
Party member

Post by RPG »

ivan wrote:I like the graphics a lot. I don't know if you plan on making a full game but if you do, you would need to add some sort of selection indicator. Kinda hard to tell which gem is currently selected. Other than that, it looks pretty good.
I'll think about adding a few options for swapping gems. Graphics taken from opengameart.org.
Jasoco wrote:I want to create a game, but I need to come up with a hook, not just a copy of what's already done. You know what I mean?
of course, it's better to create smth original. But this game is "pure" match-3 game and could be used for creation of more complex and beautiful games, based on this code.
Ensayia wrote:Took a few minutes to figure out that you had to click and drag to swap pieces.
Sorry, didn't niticed, that some people see math-3 game first time. Full game will have tutorial.
Tesselode wrote:So is the multithreading used to allow making moves while the gems are still falling?
This is the main feature of lQuery: game uses only one thread, but behaves like multithreaded game.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

thelinx wrote:
If you read his post, you see that he says that the code is an example on how to make an asynchronous game without using threads.
Oh. I misread it then.
RPG
Party member

Post by RPG »

New version: http://ompldr.org/vOTk3eg
- bug fixes
- gems selection
- two ways to swap gems
miloguy
Prole