SLG

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: SLG

Post by Robin »

1. First of all, it looks really nice, especially the "got a key animation".
  2. Fullscreen without asking the player is impolite. When I quit the game, the screen went black and I had to forcefully reboot the computer. I didn't have to do that for months, and I would have preferred to keep it that way. Luckily, it seems I lost no data.
  3. It seems that when you die, you spawn to the left of the screen instead of to the left of the map. When I got somewhat further in the level and died, I spawned in a really bad place, making it hard to continue.
  4. The player is sluggish. Because of the helmet thing, I think that's intentional, but still. It's annoying and less fun if your avatar doesn't react quickly. I'd suggest experimenting with both the running speed and the falling speed (the jumping speed is okay), to see when the sluggish factor disappears, but the "I'm on the moon" idea still shows.
  5. When the background gets white, right above the black part, the player becomes mostly invisible. I'd suggest changing the background so it keeps contrasting the player and other objects in the game.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

You polished a lot of details. I noticed (and like):
  • Key collect animation
  • Splash, when you jump into the water
  • The bridge moves when you walk over it
Also the collision detection seems to be solid.
Here are some things that can be improved:
  • The overall game is very slow. Feels like you are stuck in honey. Can you make it more responsive/dynamic? SLG does not stand for sluggish, right?
  • Small camera bug: When I get respawned on the left side of the screen, and then walk left, then the camera moves such that I cannot see very far. The camera should move a bit faster in this case, to catch up with the player.
  • The walking animation is really nice, but when I walk down stairs, then the quick changing between falling and walking leads to an ugly animation.
  • The tiles appear tile-by-tile. That looks nice. However, the background is shown completely from the beginning on. That seems inconsistent.
And one last thought, on the game design: Right now you copied the question-mark-box from super mario type games. That means the player has to jump against it from the bottom and then move around and jump on top to collect a key. In my opinion this design choice makes the player take more time to collect a key, but does not lead to more fun. My suggestion: Let the boxes disappear, once the player jumped against them. That way, the key would fall down and collecting is easier. Of course, this is a matter of taste, too. So feel free to disagree with my opinion.
Automatik
Citizen

Post by Automatik »

NightKawata wrote:You do realize that's only for Windows, right?
Not all of us use that, so you should post a .love file instead.
Protip: rename the .exe to .love, and it should work.

So, yeah, I agree with what Robin said. But if you're gonna use fullscreen, make it so that it use the size of the screen.
Like this :

Code: Select all

love.graphics.setMode(0,0,true)
love.graphics.setMode(love.graphics.getWidth(),love.graphics.getHeight(),true)
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Renaming the .exe back to .love shouldn't work... there's a lot of other data in there that would break the file, at least that what I'd expect.
Automatik
Citizen

Post by Automatik »

Yes, it work, since .zips are read backward, while .exes are read normally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ZIP- ... Layout.svg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28fi ... #Structure
There is no BOF or EOF marker in the .ZIP specification. Often the first thing in a .ZIP file is a .ZIP entry, which can be identified easily by its signature. But it is not necessarily the case that a .ZIP file begins with a .ZIP entry, and is not required by the .ZIP specification.
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

First of all, thanks for your comments. All yours suggestions have been written down. For those that cant download, there is a post with the love file.

Micha, what do you mean with tile-by-tile inconsistent? Dont worry about been respawned wrong. I'll fix it and the others bugs..
Code games. You'll have fun!
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

cgrossi wrote:Micha, what do you mean with tile-by-tile inconsistent?
On my screen I get this:
slg.png
slg.png (20.03 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
By inconsistency I mean that I can see the background on the full screen, but only those tile that are close to the player. I would expect that, if the player can see only a couple of tiles far, that he also cannot see the background everywhere.

It looks a bit like the tiles are appearing out of thin air. But they are not appearing, they just become visible, right?
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

Hey, Micha.

I'm thinking about removing this effect. I realized that it has no much meaning, since the player sees the world as he walks..
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Rather than removing it, I'd suggest looking for a way to make it meaningful. It does give your game something unique in a way, and you should keep that. Without it, it's just another platformer.
cgrossi
Prole

Post by cgrossi »

Hello.

Here is a new version. Now you can toggle between fullscreen and window pressing F10. There are 5 kinds of weather: sunny day, cloudy day, rain at day, night and rain at at night. Every type has its own vision field. There is a map too, pressing TAB. Remember, that ain't a demo. I'll start now to do the levels. Please, tell me how is the FPS rate.
Attachments
slg.love
(439.96 KiB) Downloaded 132 times