The Falling Sun

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kingdaro
Party member

The Falling Sun

Post by Kingdaro »

A cute sp00py typing game I made in light of the 1GAM theme, DEATH. As the title implies, the sun is falling, and it's your job to hold it off for as long as you can. Or just do nothing and let it kill everyone, since that's what's going to happen anyway, but I won't stop you from trying.

Image Image

GitHub: https://github.com/Kingdaro/the-falling-sun
itch.io: http://kingdaro.itch.io/the-falling-sun
the-falling-sun.love
Updated, tutorial is a little clearer.
(185.24 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Last edited by Kingdaro on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
artofwork
Citizen

Re: The Falling Sun

Post by artofwork »

The fact that you shouldn't type spaces in a typing game makes it harder to play the game when its instinctive to hit space in between words.

Doesn't really make it all that much fun :(
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Is there a reason space is the enemy here? Areyoutryingtoteachpeoplenottousethespacebarkeyorsomethingbecausethat'sreallyhard.

Otherwise make it ignore the space and don't punish the player when they do type it. I mean seeing as you programmed it to explicitly punish the player when space is pressed, maybe there's a reason? I don't see it though. Remove the punishment for spacing and you can make a nice feeling Typing of the Dead style game. I'm sure that game ignored spaces and didn't punish the player for them.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

I liked it. No complaining here.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

artofwork wrote:The fact that you shouldn't type spaces in a typing game makes it harder to play the game when its instinctive to hit space in between words.

Doesn't really make it all that much fun :(
Jasoco wrote:Is there a reason space is the enemy here? Areyoutryingtoteachpeoplenottousethespacebarkeyorsomethingbecausethat'sreallyhard.

Otherwise make it ignore the space and don't punish the player when they do type it. I mean seeing as you programmed it to explicitly punish the player when space is pressed, maybe there's a reason? I don't see it though. Remove the punishment for spacing and you can make a nice feeling Typing of the Dead style game. I'm sure that game ignored spaces and didn't punish the player for them.
The game ignores the space key... you're free to do so if you want, it'll just slow you down. This game was, in fact, made in the spirit of Typing of the Dead.

EDIT: Going through the tutorial again, I notice the way the script is worded, it does actually make it seem that typing space does punish you. I'll probably change that, whoops.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Space doesn't take that long to type. Normally it wouldn't add much time at all to your typing, especially if you're only typing one or two per line. But from what I gathered, it actually was purposely adding time and telling you you're a bad person when you hit it too much. Unless it yells at you for using space even if you don't which would be weird.

Now I kind of want to make a Typing of the Dead style game.
SuperZazu
Citizen

Post by SuperZazu »

This is really good ! I'm amazed at the result, really pretty and creative !

Keep up the good work. :awesome:
fxva
Prole

Post by fxva »

I love the style of this game so much.
:emo:
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I had fullfilling experiences :ultrahappy: Nice game
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)