Porting my own Veins of the Earth to LOVE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Zireael
Party member

Re: Porting my own Veins of the Earth to LOVE

Post by Zireael »

Okay, thanks to spacegame I've now got a working version. The goof was in player-actor inheritance, not in placement itself.

Time to go code the inventory... or make objects useful. Or something!
Attachments
test.love
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

The game now has a git repo: https://github.com/Zireael07/veins-of-the-earth-love

Pushing all the stuff took half a day :)

Ugh, tried to get a basic inventory system going. Self.inven mysteriously becomes nil during play, though. Even walking through the code with a debugger didn't help me figure out what happens to cause this.

Could someone give me a hand and test? 'g' key picks up stuff, which is when the game borks out. Argh.
Attachments
dev.love
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

It doesn't become nil for me, it's an empty table.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

This is weird. When walking through a debugger, all the initializations are done correctly and the self.inven isn't empty. It only becomes empty later.

Or maybe someone has an idea how to implement the inventory in a slightly simpler way? The body table is there so that different actors can have different inventory slots...
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Progress!

I decided to try loading the inventory definitions a bit earlier, like T-Engine did, and this allowed me to get past the self.inven being empty thing. So the player can now actually try picking up stuff.

I tried to make Actor inherit ActorInventory and I keep getting errors. I can make Player inherit ActorInventory however with no trouble. Can anyone take a look and figure out why?
Attachments
test.love
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Saw the screenshot and immediately thought "This reminds me of ToME" :D

Looking forward to this.

EDIT: Just tried it out. Looks like you are off to a good start. To reduce the draw calls per frame I suggest you look into SpriteBatches.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

rmcode wrote:Saw the screenshot and immediately thought "This reminds me of ToME" :D

Looking forward to this.

EDIT: Just tried it out. Looks like you are off to a good start. To reduce the draw calls per frame I suggest you look into SpriteBatches.
Thanks for the kind words! Of course it would remind you of ToME as it was originally made on the very engine ToME uses.

I will look into optimizing once I have the game more or less set up - I don't want to wreck things by trying to optimize too early. FOV, UI screens/panels as well as actual randomization of actors/objects are still to be done...
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Basic FOV

As you see I decided to make FOV bigger than in the original Veins (max you could get was 3), therefore maps will probably be slightly bigger too. The FOV is now square instead of circle but I will think about changing it.

If you want to take a look, go ahead!
Attachments
test.love
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Some more progress was made. The game now creates a log file in the default save directory - it's not being used yet because the code needs to insert line breaks and timestamps first before any prints.

I started porting actual game content and got the npc data to be loaded properly - so the game can now demand, say, a human and it will be spawned. Also I made first steps towards a tooltip system - if you place a mouse over an actor, you will see it's name towards the bottom of the screen.

Baby steps, as they say, but I am looking more and more optimistic as to the port being successful. And I learned some The timeframe, however...
Attachments
test.love
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Actor combat and life interfaces are being ported.

However I'm running into a problem with removing dead actors from the entities table as well as the scheduler. I'm seemingly doing both and it works fine until I'm left with a player + one actor, at which point the turn never returns to the player :( I even tried walking through the code with a debugger and I'm still stumped as to why it doesn't work correctly in this one case.
Attachments
dev.love
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 64 times