Awesome Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Almost
Prole

Awesome Game

Post by Almost »

Since I don't fell like talking much, a screenshot
screen4small.JPG
screen4small.JPG (58.21 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
Forum deleted my poorly attached image earlier (figures) so it's now more typically attached

I'm very open to suggestions for gameplay, the current gameplay is entirely just a quickish implementation of several test-like features. Most of the work so far has been on the UI and trying to keep the code kind of clean (though I bet I'm violating several standard coding practices anyways)

To clarify, I don't want to make a 'tower defense' game, although shooting stuff with turrets is acceptable. Similarly controlling ships or something more drastic is also acceptable. I look into the future of my game if i continue the gameplay as it is going now and I see nothing special, so I want to find a way to make it something new and exciting, perhaps at a suggestion form somebody else who can give me a great idea.

Controls are all explained ingame

Some neat features:
  • Windows simulation
  • decent graphics
  • object placement
  • drag select and shift select
  • collision tests for destroying stuff
  • neat physics simulation and debugging
  • image-buttons (modified version of the NO buttons script)
  • stylish map drawing
  • A* Pathfinding (the ships currently pick a random spot, find a path to it, go to it, and repeat)
  • This list is kind of neat, I like bullet points
Huh, I guess I can't help but talk a lot. Similarly I can't help but edit it to add in comments like this

and a download link:
Attachments
AwesomeGame.love
I love that these files are so small
(26.23 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Last edited by Almost on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Awesome Game

Post by TechnoCat »

Wow, this is really cool. You did really stellar work here. Keep going, this looks promising.
It is cut off because my netbook has a tiny screen.
Almost
Prole

Post by Almost »

TechnoCat wrote:Wow, this is really cool. You did really stellar work here.

Quick question to soembody that knows: if I create a new particle system every time I create an explosion, how do I delete the particle systems that are unused? (I know how to test if they're empty, will just saying ParticleSystem=nil destroy it, or will the system secretly be keeping track of the data of the particle system?)

Right now I'm doing:

Code: Select all

for i = #particles,1,-1 do
	p = particles[i]
	p:update(dt)
	if p:isEmpty() then
		p = nil
		table.remove(particles,i)
	end
end
Where particles is a table containing all of the particle systems that are created.

oh, and by "Right now" I mean "in my secret testing files on my computer that may or may not be totally unrelated to this game"
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Almost wrote:Quick question to soembody that knows: if I create a new particle system every time I create an explosion, how do I delete the particle systems that are unused? (I know how to test if they're empty, will just saying ParticleSystem=nil destroy it, or will the system secretly be keeping track of the data of the particle system?)
Setting the particle system to nil will let the garbage collector know it's okay to get rid of it and free up the memory it's using.

The game is great, I löve it ^^ It's kind of addictive, actually!

A few suggestions:

let missiles destroy turrets!
let missiles destroy the environment!
let missiles destroy other missiles!

basically, make missiles blow more things up :P
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

anjo wrote:It's kind of addictive, actually!
Am I missing something or did you just get addicted to a game without gameplay?
I must say this looks like it can become something good, but I need some gameplay for it to be fun.

Keep up the good work, and come up with an idea!
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

bartbes wrote:Am I missing something or did you just get addicted to a game without gameplay?
Heh, kind of. I find it fun to spawn a bunch of ships and watch their pathfinding (with the debug mode turned on). And then blow them up into big explosions of LÖVE.

I agree it'd be more fun with some real gameplay, but I'm weird and find watching the ships navigate enjoyable.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I added sounds :) (see attachment)
Almost wrote:I'm very open to suggestions for gameplay
I got one quick idea for a RTS/TD (Real Time Strategy/Tower Defense) :
link to full-size illustration
  • Construction
    • Can build near existing own buildings (~10 squares)
    • Can't build near enemy buildings (~5 squares)
    • Drones get produced by factories automatically
  • Time (is the only resource)
    • 5s after drone has been built
    • 10s wait after placing canon
    • 20s after placing factory
  • Drone behavior/control
    • Drones are kamikaze units
    • Drones have different target configurations: generator, nearest factory, nearest canon
    • Drones have different attack pattern configurations: zig-zag, straight, arch
    • Drone configurations are set in the factories
    • Drones will keep the configuration set in the factory when they were produced
    • Drones ignore enemy drones
    • When no targets for which the drone was programmed are available (all destroyed), it will move aimlessly at reduced speed around the map (will not attack) until new targets are available (enemy re-builds targets of required type)
  • Canon behavior/control
    • Canons automatically shoot at enemy units
    • One canon can be can controlled by the player at a time
    • A cannon will have shorter reload time and longer distance while controlled by player
  • Win
    • Destroy enemy's generator
  • Lose
    • Have your generator destroyed
    • Run out of time
The variables "inflicted damage" "health points", "speed", "time limit" and "reload time" would have to be played with. "Construction time" too of course.

What do you think? Be harsh/rude™! :)

PS: drone attack patterns
link to full-size illustration
Attachments
AwesomeGameWithBoom.love
(135.59 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Almost
Prole

Post by Almost »

Thanks for comments guys. :ultrahappy:

RE: qubodup
Hmm ,that's not a bad idea, I may do something along those lines, although I'm still open to other ideas and suggestions.
Also, 'where did you get that sound'/'what license does it fall under'?
I take the fact that somebody other than me can understand my code enough to add sound effects to be a sign of it being clearly written code
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Almost wrote:Hmm ,that's not a bad idea, I may do something along those lines, although I'm still open to other ideas and suggestions.
Have you thought of something yet? Are there specific things you want to have in the game you make? Maybe we can add some brainstorm to your existing ideas.
Almost wrote:Also, 'where did you get that sound'/'what license does it fall under'?
Whoops, sorry. :) The sound is from here, all details behind that link. (Explosion2 is a slightly modified version, same conditions)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Skasi
Prole

Post by Skasi »

How about a Z clone in space and with more autonomic units? Somehow got reminded to that game. ;)