A mini clone of Advance Wars 2 made in löve2D.
Plan is not to recreate the whole game, but to capture the core, fun gameplay.
Outline of things to come:
- Unit control + movement (with different tile costs, movement types)
- Combat (with tile defences and CO stat modifiers)
- Capture buildings and recruit units
- Include a handful of COs (likely with just a CO power)
- win the game by defeating all units or capturing HQ
- basic opponent Ai
About the project: I am obsessed with strategy/tactics games - particularly those from the mid to late 90s and early 2000s. IMO that was a real golden age for the genre. I recently picked up my old game boy advance SP and thought 'what if'.
The aim here is to use this as learning project that I will work on slowly over a long period in my spare time (and by using existing gfx/sounds I can focus on the coding). Further in the future I plan to develop my own strategy games.
First playable demo is in the works...
Disclaimer: I dont own the copyright to the graphics and sounds imported from the game!