What IDE are you using?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
luaz
Citizen

Re: What IDE are you using?

Post by luaz »

I'm gonna try Sublime now. Seems interesting.
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

luaz wrote:I'm gonna try Sublime now. Seems interesting.
Awesome. I'm thinking of switching to this too.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
kclanc
Citizen

Post by kclanc »

luaz: I agree with you that having intellisense, a debugger, etc. can be helpful. I have written up an explanation for why this is so on this page:
https://bitbucket.org/kevinclancy/love- ... TypeSystem

I think love studio is a good starting point for a general purpose IDE for lua/LOVE. But, unfortunately, I have not had much time to work on it for the past couple of months due to school. Maybe I will take a light courseload next semester to buy some more time.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

kclanc wrote:luaz: I agree with you that having intellisense, a debugger, etc. can be helpful. I have written up an explanation for why this is so on this page:
https://bitbucket.org/kevinclancy/love- ... TypeSystem

I think love studio is a good starting point for a general purpose IDE for lua/LOVE. But, unfortunately, I have not had much time to work on it for the past couple of months due to school. Maybe I will take a light courseload next semester to buy some more time.
This looks awesome, I wanted to try it before I thought of trying Sublime (which I'm loving so far, by the way), but my Windows is XP, and I have no free space for .NET 4.0. I know, I know, programming sucks in general on this machine. The other day I've downloaded some game and it was running on 5FPS or so...
If you're going to reply to my post, consider posting an (preferably working) example - 99.7% of time time, I already know how to implement the feature theoretically! ;) I don't learn very well from references, etc....
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Just using Notepad++, Lua 5.1 Reference Manual, and looking in the Love2D wiki.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

substitute541 wrote:Just using Notepad++, Lua 5.1 Reference Manual, and looking in the Love2D wiki.
That's my boy! :megagrin:
pk
Citizen

Post by pk »

I run Notepad++ under gdipp along with Latin Modern Fonts so my eyes aren't constantly assaulted by ClearType's horrible, er "unprecedented" font rendering technology.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

I'm using Sublime Text at the moment. It's quite nice. Not a huge step up from Notepad++ but it has some nifty features. Also you can use it for free, only they keep trying to guilt you into buying it :megagrin:
O/m
Prole

Post by O/m »

I use IntelliJ + the lua plugin.
I have a .bat to build everything and a shortcut to run it from the IDE (I tried to set the same thing in np++ but couldn't :huh:)
most of the IDE's features don't work with lua but it's still a great dev environment in my opinion.
luaz
Citizen

Post by luaz »

pk wrote:I run Notepad++ under gdipp along with Latin Modern Fonts so my eyes aren't constantly assaulted by ClearType's horrible, er "unprecedented" font rendering technology.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. :huh:
felix24 wrote:I'm using Sublime Text at the moment. It's quite nice. Not a huge step up from Notepad++ but it has some nifty features. Also you can use it for free, only they keep trying to guilt you into buying it :megagrin:
Not guilt - annoy. Why would you feel guilty about using software which was provided for free by the author?