Notepad++ LÖVE theme

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DarthWound
Prole

Notepad++ LÖVE theme

Post by DarthWound »

Hi guys, I've just registered to share a little thing, I've made a color scheme for Notepad++ inspired by the website.
It's only for Lua (it's what we LÖVE, no ?) but feel free to adapt it for other languages if you want.

Yep, it's quite useless, but if somebody wants it, here we go. Tell me if there are bugs.

http://sdrv.ms/TPaC2D
(Skydrive shortened link)
Included in the folder : screenshot comparison between HamsterBall tutorial on the website and in Notepad++, readme, and the xml theme.

EDIT : alternative 1 (white background and increased contrast) by Kadoba : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12308&p=73719#p73717

Here is the content of the readme file :

Code: Select all

LÖVE theme for Notepad++ v1.0
by DarthWound

---

Put the xml file into C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\themes (if you use Windows 64bits, otherwise it should be "program files" or "programs").

---

Only use with Lua files, this theme doesn't have coloration for other languages.
If you have some glitches or imperfections, tell me on the forums, I'll try to update the theme.

---

Color scheme if you want to apply this for another editor :
Light blue background : #E5F1FA
Blue background : #83C0F0
Light blue fonts : #0D8BCA
Dark blue fonts : #28465C
Green fonts : #008000
Pink fonts : #FF80FF
Light pink : #E658A0
And use any greyscale you want

---

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
                   Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net>

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
  TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.
*Return to his cave --->[ ]*
Last edited by DarthWound on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srcn
Citizen

Re: Notepad++ LÖVE theme

Post by srcn »

Is there anybody finds writing code on a light background confortable? Hurts my eyes a lot *_*
I am a mad scientist!
DarthWound
Prole

Post by DarthWound »

It's an eternal debate ^^

I like to use light background during daytime but I switch to the darkside at night.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

This is pretty awesome. I changed a couple of things to increase the contrast and complete the color scheme.

Here is the theme file if anyone wants to try an alternative
löve.xml
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
DarthWound
Prole

Post by DarthWound »

Thanks, I add your version to the 1st post.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Looks pretty cool!

But yeah, I'm definitely in the "white on black" camp, as opposed to "black on white." I've read before that black on white on a screen is pretty much the worst possible combination for your eyes, though I'm not sure if it's true.
DarthWound
Prole

Post by DarthWound »

Well, it depends on several things (hard to explain cuz my english is a bit rusty) :

- the ambiant brightness in your room or workspace
- the model/quality and the settings of your monitor
- sensibility of your eyes about colors and contrast and if you have a good view or not
- other programs that are running beside and maybe quite light (browser, music player, etc...)

For example, my case : during daytime, as said above, it doesn't annoy me to use white on black because my room is under the sun.
So at night, I like to use black on white of course. But if I work with other programs beside my editor, it could hurt my eyes too.
Imagine that you're reading a documentation, and the website use black on white. Your IDE is white on black. Pain in the ass, oops, eyes.
But fortunately I have an addon for my browser, Instaread (similar to Instapaper, Readability, etc...).

Also it depends on what exactly we call "white" and we call "black". I can't support true white on true black, it hurts my eyes, so I use smoothier greyscales like #d0d0d0 on #232527.

So, personnaly I don't have a camp, it depends a lot. And this theme is not a "black on white" advocate theme, it's just like a bonus for LÖVE devs.

Anyway, what I want to say is : we can't really debate on this, because everybody (and things we use) are different :D
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

DarthWound wrote:Well, it depends on several things (hard to explain cuz my english is a bit rusty) :

- the ambiant brightness in your room or workspace
- the model/quality and the settings of your monitor
- sensibility of your eyes about colors and contrast and if you have a good view or not
- other programs that are running beside and maybe quite light (browser, music player, etc...)

For example, my case : during daytime, as said above, it doesn't annoy me to use white on black because my room is under the sun.
So at night, I like to use black on white of course. But if I work with other programs beside my editor, it could hurt my eyes too.
Imagine that you're reading a documentation, and the website use black on white. Your IDE is white on black. Pain in the ass, oops, eyes.
But fortunately I have an addon for my browser, Instaread (similar to Instapaper, Readability, etc...).

Also it depends on what exactly we call "white" and we call "black". I can't support true white on true black, it hurts my eyes, so I use smoothier greyscales like #d0d0d0 on #232527.

So, personnaly I don't have a camp, it depends a lot. And this theme is not a "black on white" advocate theme, it's just like a bonus for LÖVE devs.

Anyway, what I want to say is : we can't really debate on this, because everybody (and things we use) are different :D
Yep, it's definitely different for everybody! I definitely prefer "light on dark" (as you suggested, "which on black" probably isn't very accurate), though my room is almost always very bright, so that may be part of it. It's worth noting that I only feel this way about programming - I prefer everything else the other way. So, maybe it's all in my head? :D

But no matter one's preference, your theme is well-done and is a great contribution to the LOVE community :)
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

Both are LÖVEly themes. Thanks for the contribution.

Pic attached for those wondering what the alternate theme looks like ^^
Attachments
lovely.png
lovely.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 8720 times
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

srcn wrote:Is there anybody finds writing code on a light background confortable? Hurts my eyes a lot *_*
I too prefer nice colors on black or dark background, which usually ends up black in the end anyway. I use Sublime Text 2 and love it except that I can't also make the sidebar black as well so it doesn't stick out when I'm typing.