Introducing myself

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Introducing myself

Post by Felipe Budinich »

Hello Lövers :-)

I'm Felipe Budinich, a wanna be game designer. I've been lurking your forums for a long time now (over a year or so), and decided to create an account just now, as i've finally decided to step up and learn how to use the LÖVE framework.

I ended up picking up LÖVE after I spent a couple of months struggling with C++, trying to cook up something with SDL, but it proved to be too low level for my experience (that is: no experience at all), and i'm greatly pleased with my results so far (took me less than a day to have stuff happening on the screen, and the event handling rocks).

Yesterday, as i was doing some testing, i got really tired of manually zipping my project, and renaming it, then i remembered this post:
Kaze wrote:I just drag my game folders onto my batch script, "Make LOVE.bat". :nyu:
So i tought "that's a really good idea (and the name is just awesome)", it's a shame that the batch file or code wasn't posted so I went ahead and (blatantly stole the name then I) made a couple of batch files that i'll share here:

Test_Love.bat

Code: Select all

@echo off
"%PROGRAMFILES%\LOVE\love" .
This batch has to be in the same folder as your main.lua, it will have the same effect than dragging the directory over Love.exe (it will run the game, without the need of creating a .love file first)

The batch files below need you to have 7z installed. I tried really hard to use the tools that come with windows by default, but zipfldr.dll is not properly documented, sorry.

Make_Love.bat

@echo off
erase made_with_.love
"%PROGRAMFILES%\7-Zip\7z" a -y -ssc -mx0 -tzip made_with_.love
Nothing too fancy, "Make_Love_001.bat" has to be on the same folder as your "main.lua", you just need to double click it, and it will delete any file named "made_with_.love", then it will move everything inside an uncompressed zip named "made_with_.love"

Spread_Love.bat

@echo off
for %%X in (*.love) do mkdir %%~nX & copy /b love.exe+%%X %%~nX\%%~nX.exe & copy SDL.dll %%~nX\ & copy openal32.dll %%~nX\ & copy DevIL.dll %%~nX\ & "%PROGRAMFILES%\7-Zip\7z" a -y -ssc -mx5 %%~nX\%%~nX.zip %%~nX\
pause
This one is a little more elaborate, "Spread_Love.bat" has to be on the same folder as Love.exe, so when you want to create an .exe distribution of your game, you've got to copy your .love file to that folder, then execute "Spread_Love.bat".

For each .love file it will create a folder named after it, then inside that folder it will create a copy of that .love file merged with love.exe (the destination file will be named after the .love file), then it will create a copy of the needed libraries inside the folder, and finally it will create a zip file named after the .love file with all the folder contents.

So, if you are lazy like I am, and you can't be bothered to open a text editor, copy paste the code, then save as a .bat file, here are the download links:

test_love_001.bat = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1043484/love/test_love_001.bat
make_love_003.bat = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1043484/love/make_love_003.bat
spread_love_002.bat = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1043484/love/sp ... ve_002.bat

PS: I suck at BBCode so i'll just write the link address there :-p
PS2: Removed one unnecessary step from make_love.bat
PS3: When i removed the unnecessary step on make_love, i forgot to add a necessary switch. Already fixed.
Last edited by Felipe Budinich on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Introducing myself

Post by bartbes »

You can drag and drop the folder onto love itself as well, saves you quite some work. (and, though not really feasible on windows, you can easily run it from the command line)
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Yeah, because it's fun to have multiple explorer windows and a text editor open all the time.

I'll try out the batch files.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

bartbes wrote:You can drag and drop the folder onto love itself as well, saves you quite some work. (and, though not really feasible on windows, you can easily run it from the command line)
I'm lazy with passion, why drag and drop if i can just click once, in fact i'll be an early adopter of any kind of interface that allows me to command the computer with my mind, and i'll nag the developers (or i'll do it myself if it is open source) until they implement autocomplete features :-p

Being a little more serious;

1.- I've had some mishaps with dragging and dropping and missing by a couple pixels (I once managed to move half my music collection to the desktop when trying to update the music on my mp3 player), so I usually try to avoid drag & drop while using file managers.

2.- And I usually take the Jack Kerouac approach to creation. I get a thermos full of coffee and don't leave my seat until I finish (or i really really have to go to the bathroom), so it has also happened that I've developed tendinitis several times, thus i try to avoid that kind of mouse use (keeping the button pressed while moving the mouse is not good for your tendons).

3.- And i had no idea that you could actually drag the whole directory to the love executable :ehem: so since I already made them, I will put them to use! jajaja
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

It would be easier to have a batch file that just says “love .”* in your project folder. That is simpler than either dragging or creating a .love every time you want to test something.

* If LÖVE is not in your PATH, you need to specify the full path, of course.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

That's really clever Robin :-) I'll try to do that. Thanks :awesome: .

This is the batch i put together, after reading Robin's idea

test_love_001

"%PROGRAMFILES%\LOVE\love" .
I'll upload it soon
Last edited by Felipe Budinich on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Tesselode wrote:Yeah, because it's fun to have multiple explorer windows and a text editor open all the time.

I'll try out the batch files.
Why not? I do it. During dev mode I have all my core .lua files, three folders related to the project and the Terminal opened at once. It's not a big deal.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Jasoco wrote: It's not a big deal.
It's just a preference thing, it really disturbs me to have too many windows that aren't maximized, so i use virtual desktops, with one application on each one (it's the same thing that keeps me away from Gimp).

I don't think that I'm so special and unique :crazy: , so i guessed that someone else had the same preferences, and i thought "it would be nice to share".
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Felipe Budinich wrote:(it's the same thing that keeps me away from Gimp).
Then I suggest you try 2.7.X out!
kLOii.png
kLOii.png (413.3 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:Then I suggest you try 2.7.X out!
You're just looking for an excuse to show off that rose again! (Not that I don't like it.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.