Any decent documentation anywhere?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Pap

Any decent documentation anywhere?

Post by Pap »

Is there any way to get any decent documentation about LÖVE? Because the project looks promising, but the lack of documentation will just make lots of people to look for another game engine.
I wonder how can I program in LÖVE if I can't find any decent description of the functions available. And don't tell me "look at the wiki", because what I found there is far (way far) from being a "decent" documentation (if you can even call "documentation" that wiki). Also don't tell me "contribute to make the wiki better". How can I do that when I don't know how to program in LÖVE, trying to learn, and all I find is a list of the functions available, most of them without any example or even description of the function arguments, or anything?
I spent 2 days looking for anything that could help me get started, managed to guess how a few functions work, then finally managed to make a few simple scripts. All that by GUESSING, because there is NO documentation. If there was any decent documentation, I could have the same results in minutes, because I have previous experience in Lua. Now I have to guess how the rest of the package works.
Don't get me wrong. I like the project and I would like to learn more about LÖVE functions. My point is, if you don't have anything that can be called "documentation", at least don't say "Try it! It's super-easy!" because it is not. How can you call it "super easy" when the user has to guess everything?
kalle2990
Party member

Re: Any decent documentation anywhere?

Post by kalle2990 »

This should help you get going :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No arguments documented? Have you actually clicked the functions in the lists?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Is there any way to get any decent critique about LÖVE's documentation? Because lots of people are very happy with it, but the lack of drama will just make some people want to bitch.
I wonder how can I complain about LÖVE if I can't find any decent flaws like other frameworks that are available. And don't tell me "stop trolling", because what I found there is far (way far) from being a "terrible" documentation (if you can even call "not useful" that wiki). Also don't tell me "give you suggestions for improvement". How can I do that when I don't know how to ask for help, trying to be an ass, and all I find is a helpful community, most of them without any elitism or even random hatreds, or anything?
I spent 2 days looking for anything that I could complain about, managed to figure out how things worked by reading that wiki I'm saying is so useless, then finally managed to make a few simple scripts. All that by GUESSING, because I DIDN'T EVEN ASK FOR HELP. If there was any decent bugs, I could have a bitch-fest in minutes, because I have previous experience in flaming. Now I guess I have to make completely flagrant accusations.
Don't get me wrong. I like drama and I would like to start a huge fight. My point is, if you don't have anything that can be griped about, at least don't say "Try it! It's super-easy!" because that's something I can bitch about. How can you call it "super easy" when the I don't know anything, won't ask for help, and can't make a Call of Duty MMO in an hour?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Pap

Post by Pap »

@ Taehl: You are talking nonsense. If you have nothing to say, better don't speak instead of trying irony (without even success). First, who said I wanted to make Call of Duty in an hour? Second... do I have to ask in forums for EVERYTHING, including basic info about framework's functions? And if I really have to do that, do you call it "documentation"?
You have nothing to say, but you say it blatantly. I am not going to follow you. Don't bother to answer Taehl, I'll ignore you anyway.

@ kalle2990: The webpage you suggested was actually the only decent piece of documentation I could find when I started. But unfortunately the rest of the framework is poorly documented. See, for example, that. And it is not even the worst example...

I'm not here to complain, I am here to ask if there is anything that looks like decent documentation, like a pdf file or something, explaining functions with decent examples when necessary. And I think I got the answer: There is not. I am not surprised, it is not the first game framework I am trying, and almost all the others I tried were poorly documented. It is a pity actually, because LÖVE looks very promising and definitely easier to use, as it is based on Lua. But I wonder how many people will find it "super-easy". It could be super easy, if there was a decent document explaining every function in a decent way. I released some framework projects in the past (not game-related), and I never did it without documenting everything in detail.
Trying to guess from tutorials or asking in the forums about everything is definitely not something one could call "documentation".
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

While they could definitely be improved, I find the Löve docs to be among the better I've ever seen. All the methods, callbacks, etc, their respective arguments and returning values are all listed; usually accompanied by an explanatory text.

If you could point to a better, comparable example, that would be helpful.

I would also advice you to mind your manners. There's no need to be rude. If you want help or get a point across, the best way is to be nice about it.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

Pap wrote:I released some framework projects in the past [...]
Then you should know better.
Going to the community forums of an open source project and saying "your documentation sucks" (that's how your post reads like) is not helping.

You have to approach this in a different way if you want to change something.
Shallow indentations.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Some of the documentation could definitely be improved with some examples, but that doesn't mean it's not decent. I didn't really have to guess much when I was first learning, it was pretty damn easy for me. I'm not sure why you feel like you have to do that.

Function arguments are pretty well described for the most part, perhaps you could provide more detailed examples of what's missing? love.event.poll is used internally in love.run and not really meant for outside use (from my understanding).
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

If you don't tell us what you're trying to do, you don't tell us what your problem is, and you come at us with an offensive tone, what do you expect? You listed one page in your second post - love.event.poll. I suppose that page is rather sparse, true, but it shows that you have to really go digging for something to complain about - the love.event module is something you'll practically never need to mess with. No tutorial tells you to utilize it, and no game needs to do anything with it to work properly.

But you're IGNORING me now. Nice job acting like a six-year-old. Feel free to ask for help when you grow up.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

This is getting out of hand, I'm locking the topic.