LÖVE 0.10.0 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: LÖVE 0.10.0 released

Post by slime »

parallax7d wrote:This is really cool, but why was support for mac OS X 10.6 dropped?

10.6 is still a popular OS, will probably have decent market share for years to come
http://lowendmac.com/2015/the-rise-and- ... 09-to-2015

I would rather lop out the offending code from love than upgrade my OS if possible. Is it possible to build for 10.6 or is there something in particular which requires 10.7+?
LÖVE 0.10.0's codebase makes liberal use of some C++11 standard library APIs. Mac OS X 10.6 doesn't come with support for the C++11 standard library. It wouldn't be possible to build LÖVE 0.10.0 with support for OS X 10.6 without heavily modifying the codebase (and using workarounds for some core functionality).

Steam recently stopped supporting OS X 10.6 as well. Just before it dropped support, the monthly Steam hardware survey reported its usage compared to all OS X users at below 2%. It had been falling steadily for years before that, of course. New Unity versions haven't supported 10.6 for almost a year now, and the stats page for OS X Unity games lists 10.6 usage at ~2% compared to overall OS X usage, when they dropped support.

Apple itself stopped supporting 10.6 two years ago.
parallax7d
Citizen

Post by parallax7d »

Thanks slime, yeah I'm not surprised about steam/unity as those tend to support a lot of heavy 3d apps, but I was hoping Love was going to have older machine support for a while longer.

I guess libc++ it's not included with 10.6, but could you bundle it in the Love binary? If so, it may be as simple as swapping out the xcode version of clang with the OSS version. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1449 ... ng-xcode-4

If not maybe I'll try to figure it out myself. A good opportunity to learn C++ and how to compile stuff. :death:
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I don't intend for official builds of LÖVE for OS X to use a custom / non-Apple build of Clang, but if you want to create an unofficial build of LÖVE that does that, I'll be on IRC if you have any questions about LÖVE on OS X that need answering quickly.
AstroBilly
Prole

Post by AstroBilly »

Thanks for the update! I just started using LÖVE and I can't wait to put out my first game!
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

Added support for per-character coloured text.
those details, I love this work bartbes, keep going!
Watchmaker
Prole

Post by Watchmaker »

Can I suggest adding a native virtual gamepad to LÖVE 0.10.0+?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Watchmaker wrote:Can I suggest adding a native virtual gamepad to LÖVE 0.10.0+?
You mean like the current gamepad api?
Yay 400th post... so anticlimactic : )
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Watchmaker
Prole

Post by Watchmaker »

zorg wrote:
Watchmaker wrote:Can I suggest adding a native virtual gamepad to LÖVE 0.10.0+?
You mean like the current gamepad api?
Yay 400th post... so anticlimactic : )
Virtual gamepad. Like those seen on gameboy emulators for android.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

That's definitely the kind of thing that should be left to libraries.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

One could write a lib to emulate a virtual gamepad, but, apart from using it with touchscreen devices, it would be virtually useless elsewhere, though feel free to code it yourself, or wait until someone does.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.