OpenGl problem after moving to Windows

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
yetneverdone
Party member

OpenGl problem after moving to Windows

Post by yetneverdone »

Hi, i used love2d before in my xubuntu linux. after moving to windows again for particular reasons, when i open love2d, it throws an error about opengl version. Im using the same device before and right now. Is there any workaround?
zorg
Party member

Re: OpenGl problem after moving to Windows

Post by zorg »

Did you install latest gpu drivers?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

zorg wrote:Did you install latest gpu drivers?
device manager says the driver is up to date
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

yetneverdone wrote:device manager says the driver is up to date
That can mean two things. One option is that the device manager is correct. In that case, that means that there are no up-to-date drivers for your graphics card on windows, but they are available on linux. That's rare, but it could happen.

The other option is that the device manager is incorrect. In that case, locating the drivers and installing them should fix the issue. That would be my bet.
When I write def I mean function.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

kikito wrote:
yetneverdone wrote:device manager says the driver is up to date
That can mean two things. One option is that the device manager is correct. In that case, that means that there are no up-to-date drivers for your graphics card on windows, but they are available on linux. That's rare, but it could happen.

The other option is that the device manager is incorrect. In that case, locating the drivers and installing them should fix the issue. That would be my bet.
that's odd. I believe, from my 3 months experience with linux, is that theres no driver update thingy in linux? just libraries
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Something similar happened to me, where it used OpenGL 1.1 Windows driver instead of the Intel one, I had to download a Windows 7 driver which had a version prior, so it was kinda a downgrade, but that driver actually supported a newer OpenGL version.

Other option as Kikito said is that your GPU doesn't have up to date Windows drivers... That is a real problem and has no solution. This can happen specially with old Intel GPUs which tend to be deprecated faster in Windows than Linux. Anyway more information can be appreciated, like what GPU you have? what version of Windows you have? what version and distribution of Linux you has? what does your driver provider says? what does your Linux driver says?
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

Positive07 wrote:Something similar happened to me, where it used OpenGL 1.1 Windows driver instead of the Intel one, I had to download a Windows 7 driver which had a version prior, so it was kinda a downgrade, but that driver actually supported a newer OpenGL version.

Other option as Kikito said is that your GPU doesn't have up to date Windows drivers... That is a real problem and has no solution. This can happen specially with old Intel GPUs which tend to be deprecated faster in Windows than Linux. Anyway more information can be appreciated, like what GPU you have? what version of Windows you have? what version and distribution of Linux you has? what does your driver provider says? what does your Linux driver says?

Indeed, my laptop is somewhat old. I will try to use other software to update my drivers since the intel provided one does not work. If nothing still happens, i will move back to linux, and maybe try lubuntu now.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

You can also use LÖVE 0.9.2 which supports even lower OpenGL versions
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

GUYS! I used drivereasy. It worked. I can now LOVE AGAIN XD