love.errorhandler issues

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
grump
Party member

love.errorhandler issues

Post by grump »

A faulty love.errorhandler function throws a filesystem error:

Code: Select all

function love.errorhandler(msg)
	print(msg)
	throw.error() -- error, throw is nil
end

error("why filesystem error?")
An "attempt to index global throw (a nli value)l" error is expected here, but I get this instead:

main.lua:6: why filesystem error?
Error: [string "boot.lua"]:253: Failed to initialize filesystem: already initialized
Is this a bug?

There is also no default love.errorhandler:

print(love.errorhandler)

nil
Is it possible to invoke the default errorhandler from a custom handler or is a verbatim copy of its code required?
Attachments
fserror.love
(264 Bytes) Downloaded 39 times
pgimeno
Party member

Re: love.errorhandler issues

Post by pgimeno »

The "already initialized" error message itself seems to be a subtle bug that may not be worth fixing. But what you're facing seems to actually be a documentation problem. A closer read of the default function gave me the hint.

This works:

function love.errorhandler(msg)
  return function()
    print(msg)
    throw.error() -- error, throw is nil
    return 1
  end
end

error("why filesystem error?")
The default function is actually stored in the deprecated love.errhand. From boot.lua:

local errhand = love.errorhandler or love.errhand
Edit: For reference, here's boot.lua as is stored in the code: https://paste.scratchbook.ch/view/ff06bf36 so that you can actually see the line numbers that error messages refer to. Not sure why newlines are removed. Maybe for historical reasons, because if it's to save bytes, a 0.6% saving doesn't seem worth the obfuscation when looking for line numbers in the source.
grump
Party member

Re: love.errorhandler issues

Post by grump »

Thank you for checking the code. Should've done this on my own, derp.

I decided to replace debug.traceback to solve my problem (getting usable tracebacks from moonscript), and leave errorhandler alone for now.
pgimeno wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 pm The "already initialized" error message itself seems to be a subtle bug that may not be worth fixing.
It's no showstopper, just confusing and makes it hard to find the error in your handler. I believe I've seen this error before, in a different context, but I can't remember the details.