[SOLVED] License

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Darlex
Party member

[SOLVED] License

Post by Darlex »

I read something about putting the love license in the project main folder.
Can somebody give me a link or something to know what to do before publishing?
Last edited by Darlex on Sat May 04, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!
raidho36
Party member

Re: License

Post by raidho36 »

You simply copy the license.txt file into your game main folder, optionally you display this file during installation. Alternatively, you can display this file in-game in menu. Your game itself might have proprietary license but I suggest you distribute it under MIT.
Darlex
Party member

Post by Darlex »

raidho36 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:18 am You simply copy the license.txt file into your game main folder, optionally you display this file during installation. Alternatively, you can display this file in-game in menu. Your game itself might have proprietary license but I suggest you distribute it under MIT.
ARRIBA EL OPEN-SOURCE!
But.. My license or the love's zlib license?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

LOVE uses a lot of libraries with their own licenses, it's all in the license.txt file. You should also include your own license, for the game itself. That would normally be some sort of copyright EULA but I encourage you to use a permissive license, as you're not to gain (or lose) anything from doing otherwise whereas a contribution to the open source would be nice.
Darlex
Party member

Post by Darlex »

raidho36 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:41 pm LOVE uses a lot of libraries with their own licenses, it's all in the license.txt file. You should also include your own license, for the game itself. That would normally be some sort of copyright EULA but I encourage you to use a permissive license, as you're not to gain (or lose) anything from doing otherwise whereas a contribution to the open source would be nice.
What license.txt? I installed love via ppa :/
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

It should be included with the distribution somewhere.

https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/src/default/license.txt
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

It actually depends on what you are (re)distributing. To distribute a .love file with your program, you don't need to include any LÖVE license.txt because none of the contents include LÖVE code, but you need to comply with the license of any libraries that you've used, if any (e.g. the license of bump.lua or whatever else).

The LÖVE PPA only distributes the love2d library, and apparently it doesn't include any third party library, therefore the license file (which is in /usr/share/doc/liblove0/copyright in this case) only includes the license for that. The rest of libraries are not included in the package, but are instead listed as dependencies, and each license is in its corresponding package.

A fully self-contained binary distribution should include the license of every library that it includes. As far as I know, the license.txt file that raidho36 pointed to is valid for the Android and Windows versions.
Darlex
Party member

Post by Darlex »

pgimeno wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:59 pm It actually depends on what you are (re)distributing. To distribute a .love file with your program, you don't need to include any LÖVE license.txt because none of the contents include LÖVE code, but you need to comply with the license of any libraries that you've used, if any (e.g. the license of bump.lua or whatever else).

The LÖVE PPA only distributes the love2d library, and apparently it doesn't include any third party library, therefore the license file (which is in /usr/share/doc/liblove0/copyright in this case) only includes the license for that. The rest of libraries are not included in the package, but are instead listed as dependencies, and each license is in its corresponding package.

A fully self-contained binary distribution should include the license of every library that it includes. As far as I know, the license.txt file that raidho36 pointed to is valid for the Android and Windows versions.
raidho36 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:56 pm It should be included with the distribution somewhere.

https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/src/default/license.txt
Thanks!