.love files working, but cmd not detecting "love" ?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
OmarShehata
Party member

.love files working, but cmd not detecting "love" ?

Post by OmarShehata »

So I've just downloaded and install Love2d and have been prowling the wiki and whatnot, however I'm not sure if I installed Love correctly.

The .love files from the demo's are working with no problem, however when I run "love --version" in the cmd it tells me that it isn't recognized. I'm on Windows 7.

I first installed the x32 bit version, then I realized my operating system was x64 bit, uninstalled then installed the right one. So I'm not sure if I messed anything up. Should I just continue and ignore this?

Thanks in advance!
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: .love files working, but cmd not detecting "love" ?

Post by bartbes »

It sounds like you haven't set up your PATH correctly, sadly, it's been too long for me to remember how to set that on windows, but I'm pretty sure other people here can help you out.

In the mean time, if you're in the installation directory, that command should work.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Go to start > control panel > system > advanced > environmental variables. In the user variables window check for a variable named "PATH". If it's not there then create it and put your love directory as the value. If PATH already exists then click edit and then APPEND to the end of the value field a semicolon followed by the path to your love directory (example ";C:/Program Files/LOVE"). Be sure that you do not erase the previous value and only add on to it. You'll probably need administrator rights to do this
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Thanks guys! It seems to work now.

When I type "love" it opens that demo application. Typing "love --version" doesn't do anything though. This isn't really a big issue right? I just want to double check this won't bite me in the ass in the future or anything, since I can compile my own code without any problems and everything else seems to be working.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

love --version doesn't do anything for me either but I never use it. Honestly it's very hard to mess up a love installation. I think you're fine.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

The reason the version doesn't show up in the console is because LÖVE currently does not redirect any output to the console of the parent process. Windows handles its consoles differently compared to other operating systems and getting around that requires some careful code.

If you want to see the output, redirect the output to a file.

Code: Select all

love.exe --version > love_version.txt
Shallow indentations.