Child of Winter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
kesac
Prole

Child of Winter

Post by kesac »

Information
The picture above captures my new game quite well. Child of Winter is a small puzzle-adventure game where you play as a little boy trying to find his way home. The game revolves around navigational puzzles where you must maneuver through underground caves and icy terrain. This is a short and simple game, and can be completed in roughly 10-15 minutes. It has two endings, of which you are randomly assigned when playing.

This is the first game that I've come close to finishing using LÖVE. On top of programming the game and composing the music, I also drew the art for the first time in my life (as you might be able to tell from the picture). The last thing this game needs to jump from 0.9 to 1.0 is some community feedback and testing. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

Controls
  • Movement: Arrow Keys OR WASD
  • Action: Spacebar OR Enter
  • Exit: Escape
Translations Updates (April 2012)
  • Added version 1.0
  • Added version 0.9x which is compatible with the new 0.8.0 release of LÖVE. German and Italian translations are directly included with this distribution but are not toggleable in-game yet (change line 30 in main.lua for other languages). This is a minor update to fix game crash issue in LÖVE 0.8.0.
Attachments
Child_of_Winter_1.0.love
Compatible with 0.8.0
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 402 times
Child_of_Winter_0.9x.love
Compatible with 0.8.0
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 378 times
Child_of_Winter_0.9.love
Compatible with 0.7.2
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 438 times
Last edited by kesac on Sat May 26, 2012 3:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
Have you met the Child of Winter?
jradich
Party member

Re: Child of Winter

Post by jradich »

This is pretty good...
But it's got me thinking... Could I use your code to make a pokemon clone? ;)
Losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose a friend, forever. FOREVER!
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

Wow, pretty much all 15 minutes were spent on that last puzzle, that one was crazy.

Pretty well put together, not entirely sure what the ending means though... I guess it could imply the kid actually died from the fall.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Can you plz explain the ending where he dies?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
kesac
Prole

Post by kesac »

jradich wrote:This is pretty good...
But it's got me thinking... Could I use your code to make a pokemon clone? ;)
If you can read my code and pull out the necessary parts, by all means! I've been planning to slap the MIT license on the code. Or does the community prefer zlib license?
Davidobot wrote:Can you plz explain the ending where he dies?
Spoilers ahead

The "child of winter" the title of the game references is not actually the boy you play as, but the mysterious girl you have a chance of encountering after you finish the puzzles. Whether she is real or the boy's hallucination (a possible side effect from his fall) is unknown.

If she is real, then she is clearly a supernatural being and the boy's presence has angered her somehow. If she is a hallucination, then the boy may be merely succumbing to his injuries (Ensayia's interpretation is bang on with this assumption).

I suppose whether the boy actually dies is up for interpretation too, but in the ending where you meet the girl the boy will never make it back home, so in my mind he does.

For those of you who got the girl ending, the alternate ending shows the boy never encountering the girl and making it out the caves safely.
Have you met the Child of Winter?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I got the alternate ending. How do you get the normal one?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

I opened the game and said "poor guy, no money for a color lcd" :D
You fooled me with your game start. I thought was to be a gb rpg adventure style. Not a fan of puzzle style but I liked. Things are smooth and have a proper atmosphere. Your code seems well too. So congratulations! :)
DumpOnIt
Prole

Post by DumpOnIt »

This game is pretty slick. You made it look so pro. Rock on and make more games!
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Great game, I luckily managed to get both endings easily... I don't like the one in which the boy comes home, it's too... (damn, I can't remember the adjective >.<)
I LÖVEd it also because it didn't make me feel sick due to the PO2 Syndrome ^^
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

I know a game on a palm handheld with a similier gameplay :)
You've done a well rounded feeling in the game. The story(s) is(are) cool, the graphics are good
and everything seems to falls into place.