Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

The LövelyRPG project, a community initiative aiming to create an open source role playing game.

Moderator: Lövely RPG Community

arquivista
No longer with us

Re: Official "A Whiff of Steam", the LövelyRPG project topic

Post by arquivista »

I confess never watched carefuly this thread because I thought was one more JRPG/adventure project that really don't suit much my taste. However only now I noticed that is an isometric steampunk RPG. Well, it reminds me the spirit of old Arcanum wich I loved. I will watch from now on this project and I want to wish to all the team the best of wishes for this project. Have fun on do it guys.

BTW there is a way of browse the xlm docs in the project GIT?
Last edited by arquivista on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Line art is mostly done (now to just draw the hands... :ehem:). I'll try my best in painting, but i don't guarantee good results -- or any results for that manner (might be too embarassing to show).

:)
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

arquivista wrote:BTW there is a way of browse the xlm docs in the project GIT?
You can of course read it in any xml editor - you can use Serna or XmlMind editor. Though, everytime something changes, we automatically generate new pdf docs (using DBLaTeX) and publish it on github. Recently ui on github changed a bit and download moved from separate menu tab to button on first tab (a bit hard to spot for the first first time, especially if you haven't used github for some time), just press it and you will see a list of published files. Or you can go directly to http://github.com/lovelyrpgcommunity/A- ... ves/master. There is LovelyRPG.pdf - whole docs (30 pages at the moment), and .love files for what is done (not much, with some bugs in iteration 2). There was not much stuff going on lately, but it doesn't mean we stopped or something - I hope, that after contest resolution we will have some new strength to move this forward :)
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Thanxs giniu. First I thought that as XML could be browsed in Safari but when i tried got the errors so I didn't knew the right way to browse them.

"This page contains the following errors:
warning on line 4 at column 13: PEReference: %entities; not found
error on line 9 at column 26: Entity 'lovelyrpg' not defined"

Now I understand that the xml are the source for the PDF. Always learning. And the PDF for me is just what I wanted, I just tried to read the xml docs in the zip cause didn't knew that the PDF Doc was "outside". So thanks for the PDF link. :D
To Do: Insert Signature Here
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Hi all,

I'd like to announce, that on next Sunday, 9th January, at 16 GMT we will hold "A Whiff of Steam" development meeting. Like usually we will discuss the present and future of project. This time we meet on IRC at #love channel and from there probably go to private channel when all will show up - we are expecting 5 developers to show up.

Oh, and if you want to join, come and visit us at #love on Sunday, we might be recruiting as in such big, community project all help (even very small) is appreciated! :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

giniu wrote:Hi all,

I'd like to announce, that on next Sunday, 9th January, at 16 GMT we will hold "A Whiff of Steam" development meeting. Like usually we will discuss the present and future of project. This time we meet on IRC at #love channel and from there probably go to private channel when all will show up - we are expecting 5 developers to show up.

Oh, and if you want to join, come and visit us at #love on Sunday, we might be recruiting as in such big, community project all help (even very small) is appreciated! :)
Tak. :neko:
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

We all have limited time to work on this project. That's why, during last meeting we decided what to do. From now on, the development of Whiff of Steam will occur in occasional codding sprints, with multiple developers working on project at the same time, from late evening (CEST) to last man standing. In such atmosphere, we should be able to kick out of our brains quite a lot of good code in short time.

First coding sprint will hopefully occur next week, Saturnday 29th. This will be also good chance for new people to come in to irc and help with the project, gaining contributions and becoming developers too. After all, we are community project, so power to the Community! :D
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

We completed first coding sprint, yay! You can see results on our github page, I updated the .love file (prototype1_iteration2_wip3.love). Though don't expect miracles, it's still very very early, buggy prototype of moving, nothing more for now.

Anyway here's what was done:

1) we found our way around in code that was written some time ago
2) we changed projection to correct trimetric projection
3) we fixed mouse and key movement (main aim of this sprint)
4) we separated projection code by creating function screenToWorld and worldToScreen (completed next day, but started)
5) we prepared quicky replacement tiles and character images (completed next day, but started)

during next sprint we hope to:

1) complete iteration 2 of first prototype by adding some bushes and road sign, to test drawing order and object placement (should go smoothly)
2) fix or remove space+drag movement (it's horribly broken from start!)
3) clean up and standardise our current code base before we move to iteration 3 (should take rest of sprint)

Again, if you want to come in and help, you are welcome. We will announce when the meeting is and you can join us on IRC. Meanwhile, as you can see we could use helping hand of skilled artist, at start to redraw our tiles and Happy Mr. Blocky to be something more appropriate :)
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

A few cursory thoughts (I am using Love 0.7.0):
- Text in the corner is off from the box.
- When you zoom out or in, black edges appear around the tiles.
- Zooming is done in the top left corner, so it's very easy to zoom in until your character is offscreen.
- Using the mouse in the editor makes it feel like I should be able to select multiple tiles.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

Hi tentus, thanks for looking into it. I knew about all 4 issues you mentioned (the tiling was bought up even during last sprint), but all those were not high priority for now, at least not when we had wrong projection/movement. Other than what you found, is that hiding/showing help text changes brightness of whole screen. We will of course fix all that during this or next sprint if time allows.

Bart, Robin - what do you think, we should attack those before or after code cleanup?