Mr. BallGuy 2!!!! ***V0.1.1 ALPHA***

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: Mr. BallGuy 2!!!! ***V0.1.1 ALPHA***

Post by veethree »

Here's my notes.

1. It'd be nice if you could skip the splash screen, If you press enter, Or just any key, It skips to the menu.
2. I'm not digging the layout of the main menu. If you put the highscore in one corner, The version information in another and keep the start, achievements and quite around the middle it would be a bit more intuitive. And perhaps keep the start/achievements/quit white, And the version, highscore and such a less outstanding color, Perhaps grey. Another thing is the mouse, If you're gonna have a mouse in the main menu, Why not put it to use? Instead of having text that says "press return to play", why not have a button that say "play" that you can select with the mouse, or the arrow keys.
3. It'd be nice to be able to restart from the menu that appears when you lose, Instead of having to go back to the menu.
4. Instead of having the player stuck in the center of the screen, It'd be nice to have the ability to move around the screen, And instead of using the mouse to pick up coins, Why not make it so you pick them up by colliding with them? Agian, That would be more intuitive.

Ideas on how to make it more fun:
1. If the balls were smaller, and there was more than one on the screen at a time, And perhaps they could go in both directions, That could make it more challenging, and perhaps more fun.

Code stuff:
1. I see you have multiple "coin" files (coins.lua, coins2.lua), Why not combine those? Looking at your code it doesn't seem like you're too familiar with tables and loops, Perhaps look into those as they can be used to simplify and clean up a lot of your code, Have multiple balls being drawn simultaneously, and countless other things. I've attached a simple example of this below.
2. You could simplify your code by instead of writing up the collision detection algorithm every time you check for collision, Implement said algorithm as a function that you call to check for collision.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

veethree wrote:Here's my notes.

1. It'd be nice if you could skip the splash screen, If you press enter, Or just any key, It skips to the menu.
2. I'm not digging the layout of the main menu. If you put the highscore in one corner, The version information in another and keep the start, achievements and quite around the middle it would be a bit more intuitive. And perhaps keep the start/achievements/quit white, And the version, highscore and such a less outstanding color, Perhaps grey. Another thing is the mouse, If you're gonna have a mouse in the main menu, Why not put it to use? Instead of having text that says "press return to play", why not have a button that say "play" that you can select with the mouse, or the arrow keys.
3. It'd be nice to be able to restart from the menu that appears when you lose, Instead of having to go back to the menu.
4. Instead of having the player stuck in the center of the screen, It'd be nice to have the ability to move around the screen, And instead of using the mouse to pick up coins, Why not make it so you pick them up by colliding with them? Agian, That would be more intuitive.

Ideas on how to make it more fun:
1. If the balls were smaller, and there was more than one on the screen at a time, And perhaps they could go in both directions, That could make it more challenging, and perhaps more fun.

Code stuff:
1. I see you have multiple "coin" files (coins.lua, coins2.lua), Why not combine those? Looking at your code it doesn't seem like you're too familiar with tables and loops, Perhaps look into those as they can be used to simplify and clean up a lot of your code, Have multiple balls being drawn simultaneously, and countless other things. I've attached a simple example of this below.
2. You could simplify your code by instead of writing up the collision detection algorithm every time you check for collision, Implement said algorithm as a function that you call to check for collision.
Thanks VeeThree! I'll check out your example! You've taught me a lot on these forums!
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

okay first off

1.the background texture is ugly

2.if you are new to love and lua then only focus on getting better not making fun games

3.inst this a bit hard?

good things:

1.good music

2.awsome start
Last edited by jjmafiae on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Automatik
Citizen

Post by Automatik »

Jjmafiae, please stop double-posting and quoting a big mass of text for no reason.
You have a reply button on the bottom and on the top of the page(No need to use the quote button for that) and a edit button.
Also,:
2.if you are new to love and lua then only focus on getting better not making fun games
What? Getting better here mean getting better at making fun games, obviously.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

jjmafiae wrote:2.if you are new to love and lua then only focus on getting better not making fun games
That is horrible advice. Making games fun is a large part of the craft. A game that is beautifully programmed but isn't fun is a bad game.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Robin wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:2.if you are new to love and lua then only focus on getting better not making fun games
That is horrible advice. Making games fun is a large part of the craft. A game that is beautifully programmed but isn't fun is a bad game.
Unless the game isn't meant to be fun. :monocle:
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Robin wrote:
i will hold onto my words i guess
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

σ_σ wrote:i will hold onto my words i guess
Does this mean you'll stop posting?
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Davidobot wrote:Unless the game isn't meant to be fun. :monocle:
When a bridge isn't meant to be sturdy and it collapses, it was still a bad bridge.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Robin wrote:
Davidobot wrote:Unless the game isn't meant to be fun. :monocle:
When a bridge isn't meant to be sturdy and it collapses, it was still a bad bridge.
im not good at saying wise words when it comes to sayings things to the new people on the forum, bare with me and maybe i should stop trying to be more wise than i am and only give feedback?