Engine talk stuff

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Engine talk stuff

Post by Eamonn »

When I can talk decently again(don't ask why I can't talk properly now, you don't wanna know ;) ) I'm going to start up my Lua programming tutorial series again. I got to 110 subs, then I couldn't upload a video and dropped down to 97 subs D: I want to finish up my Lua series, then start a LÖVE series, then maybe a platformer tutorial. I also plan on teaching Java, Python and Ruby when I get the chance. Then of course PyGame, LibGDX and Chingu/Gosu. I want to make WikiBook's on all those subjects too! LÖVE is lacking in the platformer aspect of things, and that's why I want to do this! Also, Chingu/Gosu and PyGame are very lacking in tutorials. LibGDX... not so much! So why am I making tutorials on them? Because I want to help!

So, I'm excited. I really want to get into WikiBooks, but I can't find out how to write one! I have a Wiki account, so I can't see why I can't write one! Of course, when I write a WikiBook on Lua+LÖVE I'll post about it! :) If you want to see my unfinished tutorial series(or just hear what I sound like(I don't know why you'd want to know that(creepy *shiver*))), check out this.

What's left to teach in that series:

• Pairs and ipairs
• Table Methods/functions
• Multi-Dimensional tables
• Requests?

Once I teach all I feel you need to know I'll teach LÖVE.

I also wanna teach some web programming(Particularly HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript) and some web game frameworks(Particularly Clay.io, JawsJS and CraftyJS). Android development will be taught with LibGDX. I also wanna just do general random stuff.

Please, don't check out any videos that are over a year old. They're just embarrassing(not that telling you that will stop you from looking at the videos(It'll probably just encourage you to do so)).

EDIT: I forgot to mention the relevance of this to the thread. It was that jjmafiae was saying he was learning Lua, so I thought I'd suggest my video tutorials as help as well! I didn't like the PiL book, I thought it was too hard to understand. So I learned Lua in a really weird way. I made those videos(as I think I mention in one of them(though maybe that was in one that didn't get uploaded)) to help out people like myself that don't like reading books to learn how to program, and like to watch videos to learn.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn you talk too fast slow down, it ain't a race!
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

True, but everyone in my family talks fast. It's kind of a habit :| I wish I typed as fast as I talked :P I'm trying to get faster though(don't get me wrong, I'm not a slow typer, but I'm not a fast typer either :roll: ).
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Why can't you start a wikibook? What's going wrong, do you get some error?

Also, about tutorials, I was very disappointed looking or good tutorials. Especially when you're just starting out, they assume too many things, don't explain the need for anything. For example, tutorials about Lua and LÖVE just go and show the Hello World example as a start, without explaining the first thing about what a callback function even is. They don't explain the basics, and that makes the tutorial fairly unusable for absolute beginners. And the whole point of a tutorial is to get started in something new, so that sort of ruins the whole tutorial series for me.
I thought about making a tutorial series myself, but I would really need to understand the language a bit more. For example, I don't understand metatables at all, probably mainly because tutorials don't know how to explain them properly, and leave me thinking, why would I create a metatable when I can do the exact same with y = x + x?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

DaedalusYoung wrote:Also, about tutorials, I was very disappointed looking or good tutorials. Especially when you're just starting out, they assume too many things, don't explain the need for anything. For example, tutorials about Lua and LÖVE just go and show the Hello World example as a start, without explaining the first thing about what a callback function even is. They don't explain the basics, and that makes the tutorial fairly unusable for absolute beginners. And the whole point of a tutorial is to get started in something new, so that sort of ruins the whole tutorial series for me.
I thought about making a tutorial series myself, but I would really need to understand the language a bit more. For example, I don't understand metatables at all, probably mainly because tutorials don't know how to explain them properly, and leave me thinking, why would I create a metatable when I can do the exact same with y = x + x?
If you want tutorials on Lua, there are plenty of those out there. The tutorials on the LÖVE wiki are there to help you learn LÖVE, not Lua or general programming concepts.
The front page of the LÖVE wiki even lists several resources for learning Lua right in the middle of the page. :)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:True, but everyone in my family talks fast. It's kind of a habit :| I wish I typed as fast as I talked :P I'm trying to get faster though(don't get me wrong, I'm not a slow typer, but I'm not a fast typer either :roll: ).
but its GOOD FOR YOUR AUDIENCE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!
DaedalusYoung wrote:without explaining the first thing about what a callback function
i can make pretty good games in lua and i dont know what a callback function is (i might be using it without knowing what its called)
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

slime wrote:The front page of the LÖVE wiki even lists several resources for learning Lua right in the middle of the page. :)
Thanks, yeah, I read those all, I've watched several Lua tutorials, I've read a lot, but I've yet to see one that explains stuff properly, and with decent examples. I'm always still looking for more though.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

DaedalusYoung wrote:
slime wrote:The front page of the LÖVE wiki even lists several resources for learning Lua right in the middle of the page. :)
Thanks, yeah, I read those all, I've watched several Lua tutorials, I've read a lot, but I've yet to see one that explains stuff properly, and with decent examples. I'm always still looking for more though.
learning stuff your self is very efficient too
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Yes, but watching tutorials and having a decent guide is very efficient too :) Reading books is good, but I don't like reading them. It makes it feel like you're studying for something.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Eamonn wrote:Yes, but watching tutorials and having a decent guide is very efficient too :) Reading books is good, but I don't like reading them. It makes it feel like you're studying for something.
Ironically enough, I used to watch videos on languages when I was 10. Nowadays I can't stand that at all, and simply either read articles or the various books in my closet.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor