Asteroids

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
blackops7799
Prole

Asteroids

Post by blackops7799 »

This is a retro asteroids game remake I made for LÖVE. I just found out about this engine/app a few days ago and I'm hooked. :rofl:

My dad has an actual asteroids machine so I grew up playing this game. I got it as close as I could to the actual game. The points system is the same, the level system is the same, lives, ect. The only things I have yet to do is make the UFOs, various effects such as rocket flame and explosions. The sounds were made by a friend of mine and the images were made by me.

I guess this would be considered like a beta because it is lacking a few things.

Was unable to upload it as an attachment. Here's a link.
http://www.blackopsservers.com/blackops ... roids.love

TylertheDesigner
Citizen

Re: Asteroids

Post by TylertheDesigner »

Awesome game, really like the simplicity in your version, much like the original.

+10 points for using A as the ship.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

+1000 points for the awesomeness of the demo.
-999 for using WSAD and not offering arrow keys as an alternative.

God I hate WSAD. The arrows were invented for a reason, people! Use them! /rant

Seriously though, this is really nice.

Also, a usability issue, and this goes for everyone, but if the game is going to be controlled by keyboard and not mouse, then the menu should be controlled by keyboard. Instead you're using mouse for menu and keyboard for game. That's just counterintuitive. The menu should use the same method as the game itself. If the game is keyboard, menu should be keyboard, if game is both, menu can and should be both as well. It's just all usability really. Don't make the user have to take their hands off the controls to switch to other ones. It's like if Mario Paint had required you to use the control pad to play the fly swatting game or choose an instrument in the music composer.
blackops7799
Prole

Post by blackops7799 »

I'll update it to add arrow key movements and fix a few other bugs I encountered. :ultrahappy:
I'll also attempt at making the menu both mouse and keyboard controlled.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Jasoco wrote: God I hate WSAD. The arrows were invented for a reason, people! Use them! /rant
I've seen similar complaints on other posts (the French...). Didn't realize this could be a problem for some. I'll also take it into account.

Regarding the game, I liked it - I like nearly everything with spaceships. Are you planning to include other features, such as shield or hiperspace jumping?
When I write def I mean function.
blackops7799
Prole

Post by blackops7799 »

I plan on adding UFOs and hyperspace just like the original game. I don't plan on adding anything outside of the original. ^^
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

WSAD key layouts are only for FPS gamers who need to use a mouse and keyboard to move around. Most of them use the mouse in the right hand which means to be comfortable they simply move directional keys to the left side of the keyboard and use that area for all sorts of actions in the game. They don't need to be used in every game. You can use them, but it's not a big deal to use an "If W key OR Up is held, move North." Just check for either key, or provide an option to switch between.

Personally, I can't use a mouse/keyboard combination in FPS games. I'd rather use an Xbox controller than have to use a mouse and keyboard to play DOOM.
Benamas
Prole

Post by Benamas »

Jasoco wrote:Personally, I can't use a mouse/keyboard combination in FPS games. I'd rather use an Xbox controller than have to use a mouse and keyboard to play DOOM.
Off-topic, but you could play DOOM pretty well with just the keyboard, since there was basically no vertical axis to deal with
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

And I do. I am a DOOM master. I love me some DOOM. I love me all DOOM.
blackops7799
Prole

Post by blackops7799 »

I added arrow key support by the way, but not for the menu. I also added little explosion effects, fixed the safe spawn checker, and added a ring to show the safe spawn zone so you can see it for yourself.

Whenever I fix or change something in the game I just upload the file again so the URL will remain the same. :ultraglee: