Hey folks! New convert from Torque here...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DarkFarmer
Prole

Hey folks! New convert from Torque here...

Post by DarkFarmer »

Hello! Devin from martian arctic gameshere. I have been working on a demo now for about 3 weeks, loveing it so far. I am new to lua, so it has been a bit slow at first but I am getting the hang of it, and really like it.

For the last 3 years, i've been using Torque Game Builder and Torque Game Engine Advanced. I'll refrain from bashing, but, wow, Love is great: I missed starting with something simple, clean, and mostly bug-free :megagrin:

Also, I can't say enough how glad I am to be back in 2D. 3D cost a fortune and yielded a much less polished productthan I needed, while I learned a great deal, I cant say this enough: indie game devs should always use 2D. The costs of artwork, development time, QA issues, and ability to focus on things that really matter like design, polish, story, and total experience are so much easier and are basically intractible for a 1 or 2 man team in 3D. To those TRUE indies who have great, polished 3D games... you have my respect and total admiration. But I for one am a very happy and greatly stress-reduced camper being back in flatland.

One thing I'd like to throw out there, is getting a sexy particle editor and animation editor rolling for LOVE. There are some particle editors already out there, and Im wondering if anybody has any ideas for integrating one into this community. Animation is much easier, I have not really digged around very much to see if either of these things exists but if they do there may not even be a consensus on which is the best solution.

Anyways, glad to come out here... I will post my earliest release demo here as soon as its available. Thanks for reading. And a big thank-you to the devs, I am really enjoying your work.

-Devin
MartianArctic
http://www.martianarctic.com
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Hey folks! New convert from Torque here...

Post by nevon »

DarkFarmer wrote:One thing I'd like to throw out there, is getting a sexy particle editor and animation editor rolling for LOVE. There are some particle editors already out there, and Im wondering if anybody has any ideas for integrating one into this community.
I'm not an experienced game developer by any definition, so I'm not sure if a particle editor is what I think it is, but if it is a tool for being able to alter particlesystem's parameters in real time to more easily fine tune a certain system to your liking - that shouldn't bee too difficult, really. Of course you could make it horribly complex, but a simpler tool should be fairly easy to make.
leiradel
Party member

Post by leiradel »

Relish's HGE (http://hge.relishgames.com/) comes with a simple but nice particle editor. I don't know how well its parameters map to LÖVE's particle system though.
nevon

Post by nevon »

Whoever attempts to do this (I looked into LoveUI for the UI controls, but I was a bit overwhelmed) better be sure to call it Particle EDitOr.

I might give it a shot once my fever decides to drop. Right now my brain isn't exactly working at 100%.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:Whoever attempts to do this (I looked into LoveUI for the UI controls, but I was a bit overwhelmed) better be sure to call it Particle EDitOr.
Not Particle Editor and Resource Visualizer?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon

Post by nevon »

Robin wrote:
nevon wrote:Whoever attempts to do this (I looked into LoveUI for the UI controls, but I was a bit overwhelmed) better be sure to call it Particle EDitOr.
Not Particle Editor and Resource Visualizer?
I was so focused on trying to find a name to fit the acronym PENIS that I completely missed that one. Good one!
masterblade
Prole

Post by masterblade »

Yeah I agree with idea of making visual tools por particles, animation; maybe some tools for collision detection (like torque game builder uses) would be ok
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

It feels near complete now. I survived for 81 seconds. The loading time is just a little long.