Which IDE?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
davisdude
Party member

Re: Which IDE?

Post by davisdude »

I don't go all out or do anything fancy. I just use Notepad++ to code and batch files to run my game.

I have no real reason why I like Notepad++ more, except that I'm familiar with it.
I haven't tried any of the other text-editors, so I have no recommendation as for why or why not you should use them.

Welcome to the community! :)
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Teraku
Prole

Post by Teraku »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Zerobrane.
Yeah, I thought Zerobrane was pretty good. The debugger was unusable when I tried it last month, though. Crashes game instantly.

I used to use a simple programming text editor like ConTEXT, but I later moved on to Scite. My only gripe with it was that it autocorrected "do" into "don".

I'm still waiting for the day that someone makes a Lua addon for Visual Studio.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Teraku wrote:Yeah, I thought Zerobrane was pretty good. The debugger was unusable when I tried it last month, though. Crashes game instantly.
Teraku, is there any way you can simplify the script that crashes for me to test it locally? I've seen an issue like this last year that was related to using socket.select, but it has been since removed from ZBS to avoid this issue. Another crash during debugging was related to handling of collisions and is described here; a workaround was suggested in that thread, but it didn't completely eliminate the issue.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

I tried out Zerobrane yesterday and I have to say it's pretty awesome.
verilog
Citizen

Post by verilog »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Zerobrane.
Nice! thanks for this, I started using it just now and it's pretty awesome. The live coding feature is a little bit buggy, otherwise it appears to debug really fine for me.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

A great deal of the community does not use an IDE, rather a plain text editor to do their work in. Linux users tend to lean toward either Sublime (mentioned here, but not free) or the experienced users use something like Vim. Mac users seem to favor XCode (not sure if this is an IDE or not, not a Mac user), and Windows users like Sublime and the (free) Notepad++.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are on Windows. For years I used Notepad++, it's fantastic and supports color schemes, line numbering, and syntax highlighting. With a bit of work your can get your game to load with the F5 menu or simply drag and drop your game's folder on to the LOVE shortcut to run it.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions. This community is *hugely* helpful in that regard.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ensayia wrote:Mac users seem to favor XCode (not sure if this is an IDE or not, not a Mac user), and Windows users like Sublime and the (free) Notepad++.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are on Windows. For years I used Notepad++, it's fantastic and supports color schemes, line numbering, and syntax highlighting. With a bit of work your can get your game to load with the F5 menu or simply drag and drop your game's folder on to the LOVE shortcut to run it.
Xcode is a C/C++/Objective-C IDE - it's not really suitable (or intended) for Lua development.

Sublime Text is great, and while it is a commercial product it also has a trial version with all the same features and no time limit on its usage. It just has a small nag screen which pops up every once in a while when you save. It's well worth the price though in my opinion - I own it. :)
3CordGuy
Prole

Post by 3CordGuy »

Hi Guys, I'm new.

So far, I'm loving Löve! :awesome:

Anyone have any experience using Zerobrane on MacOSX 10.9+? I've tried a couple times now, but only experienced crashing when trying to load a file. Am I missing something?

So I've just been sticking with BBedit and hot-key'd batch file.
I LÖVE BACON.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

3CordGuy wrote:Anyone have any experience using Zerobrane on MacOSX 10.9+? I've tried a couple times now, but only experienced crashing when trying to load a file. Am I missing something?
I run ZeroBrane Studio on 10.7, but I can find 10.9 to test on. What version of ZBS are you running and what file does it crash on?

Paul.
3CordGuy
Prole

Post by 3CordGuy »

paulclinger wrote: I run ZeroBrane Studio on 10.7, but I can find 10.9 to test on. What version of ZBS are you running and what file does it crash on?
As far as I know I was running the latest and greatest. And I was just simply trying to get the "open project" dialog to fire.
I LÖVE BACON.