Questions about the engine

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
soullessbr
Prole

Questions about the engine

Post by soullessbr »

Hello,

I have some doubts about the engine. q I think could help me. What is the most successful game in love2d done? supports the control on the PC? has as encryptar or obfuscate the code the game for distribution? Any game on steam made ​​with love2d?

Thank you! Hug.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Questions about the engine

Post by kikito »

What is the most successful game in love2d done?
Probably mari0. There are others linked in the homepage.
supports the control on the PC?
Yes.
has as encryptar or obfuscate the code the game for distribution?
No.
Any game on steam made ​​with love2d?
Not yet that I know of, but Move or Die has just been greenlit.
When I write def I mean function.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I recently made a game available here as well as on Google Play. Commercially viable games are possible and have happened with LOVE.

There is no provided mechanism for obfuscating/encrypting your code. The subject has been talked to death and it's simply not going to happen.

Controller support is pretty good with the Joystick module.

There are supposedly ways to integrate the necessary parts of the Steam API to have LOVE games on Steam. It's not been done yet but it's possible in theory.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

There is no real reason for anyone to try to "hide" their code. Regardless of how long you spend, someone will be able to open it up. You can not really protect yourself against people wanting to see your code. The big point is though that if you get to a point where there are people who actually want to open up your game and see what is in it, then you have probably done quite good :)

I made a commercial game (http://windmill-games.net/luminosity/) and never had any issues with the "open-ness" of Löve.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Im a few days from releasing my commercial project as well.
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

Well about the obfuscation topic, actually as latest version of Love use LuaJIT, you can just convert your code to LuaJIT bytecode, it's portable as long as you use the same LuaJIT version and converting it back to text gives unreadable code.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

Fenrir wrote:Well about the obfuscation topic, actually as latest version of Love use LuaJIT, you can just convert your code to LuaJIT bytecode, it's portable as long as you use the same LuaJIT version and converting it back to text gives unreadable code.
There are de-obfuscators out there that can reverse this process. This would only give the false illusion that the code is secure. THere really is no decent way to secure LOVE code. As I said, it's been talked to death.
Fenrir
Party member

Post by Fenrir »

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution but it's really a viable one, I tried some tools to convert back luaJIT bytecode to text and you have to be really brave to try to make something with the result, for me it's more than enough to protect my code.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Who do you want to protect the code from? What harmful thing would happen, if somebody could read your code?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

micha wrote:Who do you want to protect the code from? What harmful thing would happen, if somebody could read your code?
Well, if you have a multiplayer game, hacking into a client is an easy way to cheat.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster