[RIP] LÖVElike - A Roguelike Engine ("Bärrelike" flavour)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
arquivista
No longer with us

Re: LÖVE Roguelike Engine (v0.047 aka "Barrelike") HELP!

Post by arquivista »

bartbes wrote:Well, it could either be that your if in love.draw isn't right, or it could be the fact that you draw the debriefingScreen for exactly 1 frame.
yah, basically it's that. it draws the debriefingScreen and quickly it draws again the draw game map routine.
What i was trying is to simply simulate something like old way style:

Code: Select all

a$=inkey$
repeat 
    pause
until a$ = "space"
or something simply and familiar ;)
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
arquivista
No longer with us

Re: LÖVE Roguelike Engine (v0.047 aka "Barrelike") HELP!

Post by arquivista »

Thanks bartbes, pekka, bartoleo and kikito.

I will check your sugestions and try to assimilate gamestates concept. For now probably kikito's way is more simply to implement than the nice but yet more complex to understand bartoleo full gamestate library.

Sorry for be so old-fashioned and amateur in coding. There is a bit hard to me to think in "realtime" style. Probably for two main reasons:
- learned to code in the old flow of code executing of basics, pascal, basic c++ and other +10 old years languages.
- doing now a roguelike that is a turn-based/paused gameplay and actually don't have trully a realtime mode.
arquivista
No longer with us

Re: LÖVE Roguelike Engine (v0.047 aka "Barrelike") HALTED!

Post by arquivista »

Well, let's face it, I really sucks on this. There is still some bugs to clear.
Kikito, i had to get ridden of the "locals" declarations to work in my engine.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: LÖVE Roguelike Engine (v0.049)

Post by bartbes »

Triple post?! :x
arquivista
No longer with us

Re: LÖVE Roguelike Engine (v0.049)

Post by arquivista »

bartbes wrote:Triple post?! :x
You right, I could edit them all together. This one is only for ask all sorry to that. And also to celebrate the "Fully Playable Edition" I guess :)
Lap
Party member

Re: LÖVElike - A Roguelike Engine (v0.05 aka "Barrelike")

Post by Lap »

I really don't know if making an entire other Lua roguelike engine is worth the time when the super awesome T-Engine exists. What do you plan on your engine having that it won't?
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Lap wrote:I really don't know if making an entire other Lua roguelike engine is worth the time when the super awesome T-Engine exists. What do you plan on your engine having that it won't?
Well, don't get me wrong but I don't trully get your point. First this is LÖVE and not anymore universal pure LUA. Can you run T-Engine in LOVE? Probably not, it would need a only a lot of modifications and it will be even slower without compiling. Can we run my not awesome and lousy developed engine in LUA? Of course not. So this would be a LOVE and a not a LUA engine done for LOVE users. And so if there is something better? That stopped people for doing diferent game engines in same language, or games when there will be always another super awesome "reference"? Probably the one they are doing will not be better that the super awesome one but that didn't stopped them. Anyway even if nice T-Engine is so awesome no one seems be writing modules for it so T-Engine is for now more a standalone game (TOME) than really an engine.

But well, I will not then waste anymore time on this project and focus otherwise in my parallel roguelike project (not in LUA or derivatives of that so no afraid of super awesome T-Engine). I was doing it for learning and mostly for fun. And of course, because there weren't roguelikes in LOVE. But fun is run out. Project for me is closed. As noticed in source-code anyone willing to take on this go ahead (even if there is the super awesome T-Engine). Have fun people.
bartoleo
Party member

Re: LÖVElike - A Roguelike Engine (aka "Barrelike") - HALTED

Post by bartoleo »

You're totally right
Not all projects must be 'the best' you can just code for 'fun'.. and to 'understand' mechanics and language...
Have fun!!!!
So ... if exists mario ... no others clone of it?
Little Big Planet ... so no other project similar?
I think that a LÖVE project is a way to code 'easy', multi-platform, and having fun

just a note on T-Engine .. the problem about modules is (I think) that is difficult write a module because T-Engine has many many features, so it's complicate
one T-Engine 'indy' module is
http://code.google.com/p/viralresistance/
about zombies (yeah zombies for all!!!)
Bartoleo
Regret
Prole

Post by Regret »

arquivista wrote:
Lap wrote:I really don't know if making an entire other Lua roguelike engine is worth the time when the super awesome T-Engine exists. What do you plan on your engine having that it won't?
Well, don't get me wrong but I don't trully get your point. First this is LÖVE and not anymore universal pure LUA. Can you run T-Engine in LOVE? Probably not, it would need a only a lot of modifications and it will be even slower without compiling. Can we run my not awesome and lousy developed engine in LUA? Of course not. So this would be a LOVE and a not a LUA engine done for LOVE users. And so if there is something better? That stopped people for doing diferent game engines in same language, or games when there will be always another super awesome "reference"? Probably the one they are doing will not be better that the super awesome one but that didn't stopped them. Anyway even if nice T-Engine is so awesome no one seems be writing modules for it so T-Engine is for now more a standalone game (TOME) than really an engine.

But well, I will not then waste anymore time on this project and focus otherwise in my parallel roguelike project (not in LUA or derivatives of that so no afraid of super awesome T-Engine). I was doing it for learning and mostly for fun. And of course, because there weren't roguelikes in LOVE. But fun is run out. Project for me is closed. As noticed in source-code anyone willing to take on this go ahead (even if there is the super awesome T-Engine). Have fun people.
Welcome to the internet?
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: LÖVElike - A Roguelike Engine (aka "Barrelike") - CLOSED

Post by bartbes »

Did you give up because of that one comment?