Question about Love2D license

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Josepho
Prole

Question about Love2D license

Post by Josepho »

Hello! I have a question about the Love2D license that im not sure if it will allow this or not, maybe you can help me with this. I am working on a RAD game development tool that will allow users to create their own games without code. I plan on making it close source and commercial and I was thinking on using Love2D as the runner of the games built with this app. The app is not developed on Love2D but the idea is to take advance of Love2D portability and stability. Do you think this would be allowed? and what requirements its suppose i would need to meet if yes?
Follow me on twitter @josepho
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Question about Love2D license

Post by sphyrth »

I think your issue is outside Love2D unless you're going to use your own modification of Love2D.

Love2D's zlib license generally works with apps that are built on it... not outside of it.
Josepho
Prole

Post by Josepho »

According to Zlib license and as far as I know, it shouldnt be any problem, but im asking just to double check it. Im not very sure of how "outside" of love the code would be, think about the rpgmaker games, they are always built over the same structure, this structure would be coded using Love, the tool just will copy it with the set of resources that the user uses
Follow me on twitter @josepho
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

The licenses only apply when you're going to distribute Löve and its libraries. If the designer creates Löve code or data, it is not bound by any of the licenses per se. If you distribute the designer together with Löve itself, or even Löve as a separate download, then you're bound by the Löve license and the licenses for all of the libraries that you include, with regards to the fact that you're distributing Löve. Assuming that you distribute them unmodified, this boils down to including the license.txt file from the Löve distribution, but I'd also advise to read the license texts to see if there's anything else that you need to do.

Since there's no GPL code distributed with Löve, there's no need to deal with the issue of whether the whole set constitutes "a work based on the program" in the GPL sense, which would otherwise imply that the whole set would need to be distributed as GPL.