Towers of Hanoi with CATS! NOW IN PLAY STORE FREE!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
k1ngS4krifice
Prole

Towers of Hanoi with CATS! NOW IN PLAY STORE FREE!

Post by k1ngS4krifice »

I'm very excited, I just launched my first game.
I'm new to game development, I would really appreciate it if you guys could play my game and critique it to see what I can improve :) :awesome:

Available in: itch.io
Available in: PlayStore

Last edited by k1ngS4krifice on Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
k1ngS4krifice
Prole

Re: Towers of Hanoi with CATS! NOW IN PLAY STORE!

Post by k1ngS4krifice »

I just released the app on google play store, check it out here
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Congrats :awesome:
I was going to download it but truth is: I do not want to pay money even if it is just one dollar.
No matter how nice your game might be perhaps, I can find dozen free versions.
It is exciting to release a game and one might be tempted to put a prize on it but the hassle of paying is a huge barrier for players.
Also if you ask for feedback should it not be us that get paid for testing and helping you improve your game? ;)
So I suggest to make it free (or donation) because as beginner it is more important to get much feedback instead of maybe earning some handful of dollars.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Heaven forbid someone wants to make money for all their hard work! oh no
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I think knorke's comment is quite justified in this case. Yes, the author is entitled to charge for their work, absolutely! And we are also entitled to not buy it. What knorke did was explaining why it's not likely to yield any significant amount in sales in this particular case: Towers of Hanoi is not exactly a novel game, and as they said, there are probably hundreds of free ones. And as they said, it's not reasonable to ask for feedback here in the forums while charging money for it.
k1ngS4krifice
Prole

Post by k1ngS4krifice »

Thank you very much for your comments, I actually put a price on it because it was the only way to get paid since I still don't know how to put ads (since the vast majority of tower of hanoi games have that). But thinking about it, they are very right and I don't think anyone will pay for it, so I decided to put it free so they can try it, it's my first project and if someone wants to support me I would really appreciate it :)
k1ngS4krifice
Prole

Post by k1ngS4krifice »

also in itch.io :)
Bigfoot71
Party member

Re: Towers of Hanoi with CATS! NOW IN PLAY STORE FREE!

Post by Bigfoot71 »

Good work! If it helps you, you can put ads there with this version of Löve Android which contains an extension for AdMob: https://github.com/flamendless/love-android-extensions

The readme is not completely up to date but the repository was not long ago, it runs well on 11.4 and the latest version of admob sdk.
You will also obviously need an AdMob account, be careful not to stuff your app too much with ads, so that the experience remains cool ^^
My avatar code for the curious :D V1, V2, V3.
knorke
Party member

Re: Towers of Hanoi with CATS! NOW IN PLAY STORE FREE!

Post by knorke »

I tried it now on PC.
The little bouncing animation when moving blocks is nice. The menus are good too, looks very slick. It is your first game but not your first programming project?
Some random notes:
1) The cats look strangely stretched with higher stone/cat count.

2) When clicking a stone but not actually moving it, it still gets counted as a move.

3) flux.lua contains this comment:

Code: Select all

- This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
-- under the terms of the MIT license. See LICENSE for details.
You need to include the actual license file with full text, too. (https://github.com/rxi/flux/blob/master/LICENSE )

4) When selecting the number of blocks by clicking the arrow-buttons, it is not clear how to actually start the game. I figured it out in mere moments but I have seen so many people get confused by similar GUI problems.
(A button with text "start" or a green check mark is more obvious)