Devs of love2d which os do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Which os do you use ?

Windows(windows 8 and above)
41%
Windows(below 8)
No votes
Linux(any)
47%
Mac(any)
12%

Total votes: 34

Hugues Ross
Citizen

Re: Devs of love2d which os do you use ?

Post by Hugues Ross »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:00 am Same with dictor, voice input, etc.
In linux all off this or doesn't exist, or works not that good to be usable, while in Mac or Windows they actually usable with anything that you throw at them, and they available out-of-box.
One small nitpick here--I generally agree with the point that accessibility support on Win/Mac is better, but Linux has plenty of usable options on the input side if you're willing to put some work into setting them up, it's more of a pain initially but they work just fine. I've been using Dragonfly to operate my pc for roughly a year at this point, and I find it works quite well. I believe there are some simpler (paid) solutions out there with linux support too, I just like hacking stuff together. Similarly, my footpedals worked perfectly when plugged in with no extra setup needed.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Hugues Ross wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:27 am One small nitpick here--I generally agree with the point that accessibility support on Win/Mac is better, but Linux has plenty of usable options on the input side if you're willing to put some work into setting them up, it's more of a pain initially but they work just fine. I've been using Dragonfly to operate my pc for roughly a year at this point, and I find it works quite well. I believe there are some simpler (paid) solutions out there with linux support too, I just like hacking stuff together. Similarly, my footpedals worked perfectly when plugged in with no extra setup needed.
And that's the thing.
It's just sad, that even way back at Windows 7 times you had out-of-box voice recognition system that already tightly integrated with system that you can use, while on modern linux you need to know python, know how to use pip to install this package, know what x11 is (because this dragonfly doesn't work with Wayland which become more and more default this days), know what github is (because that where most such software hosted), and know how to glue everything together...
And I'm more then enough sure, that this system not going to be perfectly working with any Window Manager and Desktop Environment.
(And most speech recognition systems on linux like that, even that designed for casual users, they can do some limited things, and to even get this, you need to hack together everything and maintain later yourself.)
And windows 7 when come out? In 2009?
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Linux is a kernel not an OS.
If your complain is that stuff doesnt work out of the box then this is entirely your fault for not choosing a distro where stuff works out of the box.
THAT however is something i can understand complains about, finding a distro is a PITA.
obey
Pinko
Prole

Post by Pinko »

I cant call myself a developer, but i use the linux kernel for some years. I was using win98, when i switched to slackware and later to suse linux. Now i am using peppermint OS, which is lean and efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Tbejoe-N0Ss

Pinko
Last edited by Pinko on Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the vape knigge. I have thought of you! is much better than "i have waited for you". :cool:
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:15 pm Linux is a kernel not an OS.
"On linux-based operating system" if it sounds better to you
If your complain is that stuff doesnt work out of the box then this is entirely your fault for not choosing a distro where stuff works out of the box.
You can pick any distro and accessibility functionality will still suck bad without hack-and-glue-together-system-to-work. And even then it will still suck, but at least you can configure it to your tastes.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

GVovkiv wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:55 pm"On linux-based operating system" if it sounds better to you
This does include phones and TVs then. There is not even competition in this sector.

Here this distro was literally programmed by blind programmers https://zendalona.com/accessible-coconut/
I dont think you need to set stuff up there.
obey
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

When it comes to accessibility features and the way you can set it up, I think macOS is killing it. Apple and their products can be hated for a lot of things, but personally I find it incredible tha fact they include completely free Automator and Shortcuts which allow you to automate any task on your Apple devices without using any scripting or programming language. The setup uses flow-charts, nodes and commands exposed by applications that anyone can use to automate anything.

Depends on what commands exposed by the applications, you can automate absolutely anything and trigger it with either voice, key presses or state of other applications and the system or by state of devices connected to the Mac.

All Apple software expose their complete feature set to Automator and Shortcuts as long you are using Apple software, you can automate absolutely anything using a visual flow-chart editor. I have never seen anything like this on any other system, especially not for free.

Personally I don't know anyone with disability but I've heard few people mentioning how much macOS changed their life and helped them with their disability. I didn't really understand what they were talking about until I tried it myself. I did play around with it and Automator and Shortcuts is really good and super easy to use.
zalander
Citizen

Post by zalander »

K sooo I think Linux is the most used os in the LOVE2D community
Using LOVE to make everything except games :crazy:

Code: Select all

astring = "pog"
print(astring)
--pog
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

No, you can't say that. maybe the linux want to vote (or read those topics), and other don't.
The only way you can get more data, if the webmaster publish some stats about OS users that are using this forum.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:15 pm Linux is a kernel not an OS.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lE4UXdJSJ ... V4IA%3D%3D