LÖVE for the Switch

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
alejandroalzate
Citizen

Re: LÖVE for the Switch

Post by alejandroalzate »

**Imminent Rant**
Sadly Nintendo is very tight with its property, although they are in the right to do so, this make it very hard to the open source community to break in, and i don't think that anybody here has enough cash to grab a dev kit the legal way and if someone does manage to do it, those bastards will make him/her to sign and NDA and so one person behind a port that complex seems rather impossible to finish in the switch's commercial life, our power as open source is the community together, if someone can't implement something there are 3 or more behind it to help, this is what makes homebrew such a critical thing but generally gets a bad look because piracy. we have to break into the switch security to successfully port LÖVE. And also hopefully the EU slaps Apple in the face again with a sideloading bill, as they did with USB-C one on the ip15 and this hopefully trickles down not only to gaming hardware but also innocuous devices like the "Smart" nonsense of devices that big tech tries to make us swallow down our throat like a car, a fridge or a TV.

So we can *OWN* our damn crap

Code: Select all

target = boardIndex.getWhosPeekingThisLine()
target:setObey(true)
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

I mean it would be perfect world where corporations (or anyone) could do this "you own nothing" shit, but this won't happens in near future.
Also, same principle applies not only to nintendo, but also Sony and Microsoft. For both XBOX and PlayStation you also need dev kit, which you can use and get only after signing NDA and paying fees of some sort of "dev account".
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

alejandroalzate wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:03 pm **Imminent Rant**
I don't think I fully understood this post but in case you missed this - there are multiple existing complete ports of love to the Switch via the Nintendo SDK (so you can put your games on the Switch store once you get access to Nintendo's developer tools). Previous posts in this thread talk about at least one of those ports.
Iori Branford
Prole

Post by Iori Branford »

For what it's worth, I feel Switch has the lowest barrier to entry of all the current consoles.
The application process is easy, you fill out a form about your technical background and your plans for the Switch. You don't need to have any titles already published, and unlike PS and Xbox, you don't need a company or other business entity. I don't remember if they charged an application fee or not, but I don't believe so.
Even the most high-end Switch devkit costs about 1-2% as much as most previous console devkits.
You can open your code to other Switch devs via the Nintendo dev forums. There are ports of SDL2 and physfs libraries which did a ton of work for me on my port. Of course many devs' employers or business strategies forbid them to contribute, but still, this is about as open as a closed system can get and I'm satisfied with that.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Iori Branford wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:28 pm For what it's worth, I feel Switch has the lowest barrier to entry of all the current consoles.
The application process is easy, you fill out a form about your technical background and your plans for the Switch. You don't need to have any titles already published, and unlike PS and Xbox, you don't need a company or other business entity. I don't remember if they charged an application fee or not, but I don't believe so.
Even the most high-end Switch devkit costs about 1-2% as much as most previous console devkits.
You can open your code to other Switch devs via the Nintendo dev forums. There are ports of SDL2 and physfs libraries which did a ton of work for me on my port. Of course many devs' employers or business strategies forbid them to contribute, but still, this is about as open as a closed system can get and I'm satisfied with that.
I think you forgetting steam deck, which is also console!
Iori Branford
Prole

Post by Iori Branford »

OK, lowest of all the closed systems :^)
alejandroalzate
Citizen

Post by alejandroalzate »

wait then my rant is usseles?, is nintendo starting to be more welcoming?
And the steam deck not to undermind it but it runs desktop software, and has an x86_64 processor, it should be classified as and "handheld-desktop" if that makes sense

Code: Select all

target = boardIndex.getWhosPeekingThisLine()
target:setObey(true)
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

alejandroalzate wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:40 pm And the steam deck not to undermind it but it runs desktop software, and has an x86_64 processor, it should be classified as and "handheld-desktop" if that makes sense
Handheld or not, can it run "desktop" software or not, it's still console. It's quacks as console, it swims like console, it looks like console, so it's probably console.