Panel Attack

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Endaris
Prole

Panel Attack

Post by Endaris »

Technically this is a duplicate thread but the original thread has been orphaned, the original developer long gone and a lot has changed since then so I've been feeling a bit unhappy with how the game presents itself here in the forum for a while now. That's why I'm reposting something I can edit and update in the future.

Panel Attack is a free, open-source, online multiplayer match-3 action puzzle game inspired by Panel de Pon, Tetris Attack, and Pokemon Puzzle League. Notable features include:
- 1p Time Attack, Endless and Puzzle modes
- Online multiplayer and a ranked ladder
- Spectate and basic replay functionality
- New 1p game modes in Training and Vs Self
- A Pokemon Puzzle Challenge inspired Challenge Mode (currently in open beta)
- Moddable by design, there are many themes, characters and stages built by the community
and a lot of other fancy small stuff like autoupdater, discord rich presence and localization.

We have a small but active community of dedicated players with monthly tournaments in 4 skill segments.
Here's a VoD of one of our last tournaments.

On schedule for release in the near future are
- Playing with touch controls
- Menu rework
...and then there's our issue backlog with 120 more ideas for what we can improve about the game :death:

As of now there are still a bunch of nintendo assets in the game but efforts have begun to produce our own assets for the game with the theme already replaced. Unfortunately the 1p experience for new players is still a bit miserable because there isn't an ingame tutorial yet and from the get-go it was more intended for people playing the original nintendo games seeking competition so it's still rather PvP focused. There are some video tutorials for beginners though.

Personally I've been contributing to the game since early 2022, mainly with extensions for the Puzzle mode, performance improvements, refactorings of engine code, writing documentation and managing our issues on GitHub. We've had a lot of contributors over the years but the main drivers have been the original developer sharpobject, Jon_12156 and JamBox.

You can find out more about Panel Attack on
GitHub: https://github.com/panel-attack/panel-attack
Our Website: http://panelattack.com/
Discord: http://discord.panelattack.com
glitchapp
Party member

Re: Panel Attack

Post by glitchapp »

I love it, are you considering adding gamepad support? this kind of game would benefit a lot from it I think
Endaris
Prole

Post by Endaris »

glitchapp wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:22 am I love it, are you considering adding gamepad support? this kind of game would benefit a lot from it I think
I didn't really consider mentioning it here because as love users you are naturally aware of the way love supports devices but yes, there is gamepad support, you just need to manually bind controller inputs in the key configuration before you can use it.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

Endaris wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:31 pm
glitchapp wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:22 am I love it, are you considering adding gamepad support? this kind of game would benefit a lot from it I think
I didn't really consider mentioning it here because as love users you are naturally aware of the way love supports devices but yes, there is gamepad support, you just need to manually bind controller inputs in the key configuration before you can use it.
I see, I suggest then to automatically bind the gamepad if detected and set default inputs, I already did that on several games and makes everything easier in my opinion, another thing I notice is that you can't have keyboard and gamepad working at the same time so I would add support by default for several inputs.
Endaris
Prole

Post by Endaris »

glitchapp wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:02 pm I see, I suggest then to automatically bind the gamepad if detected and set default inputs, I already did that on several games and makes everything easier in my opinion, another thing I notice is that you can't have keyboard and gamepad working at the same time so I would add support by default for several inputs.
The gamepad thing sounds like an idea to add to our eternal issue list. I'm not entirely convinced regarding the autobinding considering that we currently support only 1 set of directional inputs per config and different people will prefer either dpad or stick so a selection will be necessary either way.
Multiple input configurations are already possible (and necessary for 2p local) but ingame only the input configuration you used to start the game with is available (otherwise you'd be able to make macros across multiple configs). But in menus you can switch however you want, provided you set 2 different configurations for keyboard and controller.
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

Endaris wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:27 pm
glitchapp wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:02 pm I see, I suggest then to automatically bind the gamepad if detected and set default inputs, I already did that on several games and makes everything easier in my opinion, another thing I notice is that you can't have keyboard and gamepad working at the same time so I would add support by default for several inputs.
The gamepad thing sounds like an idea to add to our eternal issue list. I'm not entirely convinced regarding the autobinding considering that we currently support only 1 set of directional inputs per config and different people will prefer either dpad or stick so a selection will be necessary either way.
Multiple input configurations are already possible (and necessary for 2p local) but ingame only the input configuration you used to start the game with is available (otherwise you'd be able to make macros across multiple configs). But in menus you can switch however you want, provided you set 2 different configurations for keyboard and controller.
It's ok, I tested it and I'm fine with it as it saves game configuration changes and if you set up a controller it keeps changes.

In my opinion keyboard and gamepad controls should not be self excluyent but that's just a constructive feedback to improve the game. I'm fine with how the game is and I find the game very interesting.