Ner - You simply must descend

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Ner - You simply must descend

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

*ahem* New game time :cool:

Sickly damp air fills your lungs as sporadic artificial light strains your sun-starved eyes. The dim corridors ahead of you are bathed in aluring darkness, drawing you deeper and deeper into the unknown as your ability to recall the surface world recedes. With every step, a creeping anxiety grows, whispering about a haunting presence that calls this place home.

I recently took part in a week-long venture to create a horror game, which is something I've wanted to make for a *very* long time, so I'm really stoked to present to you: Ner

Ner is one part pac-man, one part Alien isolation, and more than atmospheric enough to bridge those two disparate sources of inspiration. If you're a fan of creeping through dark corridors with nothing but the crackling hum of an unreliable motion detector, Ner ought to be the game for you :halloween:

DOWNLOAD NOW ON ITCH.io: https://youdoyoubuddy.itch.io/ner
I'm way too sober for this...
BurrickSlayer
Prole

Re: Ner - You simply must descend

Post by BurrickSlayer »

Solid little gem!

Your game reminded me of the first Thief game (in a good way), if you ever played that. The darkness, the lights, the eerie background ambiance, the sounds of approaching (and chasing) ghosts… You have created a nice, gloomy atmosphere with comparably simple means, which I like very much.

(A few spoilers ahead!)

I like the tutorial-like structure of the game, where new game elements are introduced in each level. Playing the game for the first time can be thrilling, because you don’t know what to expect at all. I was expecting some kind of jump scare behind the next corner, so I was on guard the whole time. Playing the game for the second time is less engaging, though, because then you already know that there isn’t any danger in the first few levels. ;)

Another thing I liked are the visual effects on this motion detector display (and the minimalistic presentation in general).

My biggest gripe with this game is the darkness. I think it’s just too dark at some places. For example, some corridors are almost pitch black. I switched off the lights in my room and still was hardly able to see in those dark areas. Perhaps the player could emanate some light to make navigation easier?

But other than that a well made game for Halloween! And I didn’t encounter any technical issues while playing this.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

BurrickSlayer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:20 pm Solid little gem!

Your game reminded me of the first Thief game (in a good way), if you ever played that. The darkness, the lights, the eerie background ambiance, the sounds of approaching (and chasing) ghosts… You have created a nice, gloomy atmosphere with comparably simple means, which I like very much.

(A few spoilers ahead!)

I like the tutorial-like structure of the game, where new game elements are introduced in each level. Playing the game for the first time can be thrilling, because you don’t know what to expect at all. I was expecting some kind of jump scare behind the next corner, so I was on guard the whole time. Playing the game for the second time is less engaging, though, because then you already know that there isn’t any danger in the first few levels. ;)

Another thing I liked are the visual effects on this motion detector display (and the minimalistic presentation in general).

My biggest gripe with this game is the darkness. I think it’s just too dark at some places. For example, some corridors are almost pitch black. I switched off the lights in my room and still was hardly able to see in those dark areas. Perhaps the player could emanate some light to make navigation easier?

But other than that a well made game for Halloween! And I didn’t encounter any technical issues while playing this.
Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm currently in the late stages of putting together a postjam update to the game so I might adjust the brightness of the player's light shortly :)
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Post jam update released!

This took a bit longer than it should but here's the feature list for the post jam update:
  • Improved graphics!
  • A pause menu
  • Adjusted enemy AI
  • Sound tweaks
  • Various fixes