Question about the license.txt file

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
profPatonildo
Prole

Question about the license.txt file

Post by profPatonildo »

I'm packaging my game for release and I'm not sure how I should handle the license file.

The Love2D wiki says it is required to distribute the original license.txt from the love executable with your game. If I want my game to have its own license, what do I do, exactly?

Should I append my game's license to the original license.txt file or should I make another file to put my license in? Like, a license2.txt or something like it?
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Question about the license.txt file

Post by MrFariator »

Yeah, you should include the license.txt that comes with love2d with your distribution. For clarity to end-users, you could indeed rename it to license_love2d.txt, and put your own game's license (eg. any licensing involving your game assets) in its own file. You could even consider making a third file for any of the libraries you might have used.

So long the licenses are provided to end-users in an easily accessible manner (like placing them next to your game's executable or .love, depending on how you're distributing), you should be good to go.
profPatonildo
Prole

Re: Question about the license.txt file

Post by profPatonildo »

thank you!