Sprite speed

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Vixii
Prole

Sprite speed

Post by Vixii »

I'm new in love2d and I had a problem.

If I spawn more than one enemy, it multiplies the sprite's speed. Does anyone know why?

Enemy code

Code: Select all

enemies = {}

function spawnEnemy(x, y)
  local enemy = world:newRectangleCollider(x, y, 22, 32, {collision_class = "Danger"})
  enemy.dir = 1
  enemy.speed = 100
  enemy.animation = animations.enemy
  enemy.scale = 1.2
  table.insert(enemies, enemy)
end

function updateEnemies(dt)
  for i, e in ipairs(enemies) do
    e.animation:update(dt)
    local ex, ey = e:getPosition()

local colliders = world:queryRectangleArea(ex + (11 * e.dir), ey + 16, 10, 10, {'Plataform'})
    if #colliders == 0 then
      e.dir = e.dir * -1
    end

e:setX(ex + e.speed * dt * e.dir)
  end
end

function drawEnemies()
  for i, e in ipairs(enemies) do
    local ex, ey = e:getPosition()
    e.animation:draw(sprites.enemySheet, ex, ey, nil, e.scale * e.dir, e.scale, 17, 19)
  end
end
Sprite code

--- enemys
sprites.enemySheet = love.graphics.newImage('sprites/enemy.png')
local enemyGrid = anim8.newGrid(32, 32, sprites.enemySheet:getWidth(), sprites.enemySheet:getHeight())
animations.enemy = anim8.newAnimation(enemyGrid('1-6', 1), 0.07)
1 enemy - https://gyazo.com/86d5a5e7a200cf52564e694c0f26b63f

5 enemies - https://gyazo.com/64218dae151d1fccea309af1599cd426
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Sprite speed

Post by pgimeno »

Hello, welcome to the forums. I may be wrong, but I think what's happening is that you have a single animation (animations.enemy) for all the enemies, and you update it once per enemy, therefore the more enemies you have, the more times in the same frame the animation will be updated.

If you're OK with a synchronized animation for all enemies, then you need to update it just once per frame, i.e. you can do animations.enemy:update(dt) out of the per-enemy loop.

If you want the animations to be independent, however, you need a new animation per enemy. You can do that by changing this:

to this:

enemy.animation = animations.enemy:clone()
Vixii
Prole

Post by Vixii »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 am Hello, welcome to the forums. I may be wrong, but I think what's happening is that you have a single animation (animations.enemy) for all the enemies, and you update it once per enemy, therefore the more enemies you have, the more times in the same frame the animation will be updated.

If you're OK with a synchronized animation for all enemies, then you need to update it just once per frame, i.e. you can do animations.enemy:update(dt) out of the per-enemy loop.

If you want the animations to be independent, however, you need a new animation per enemy. You can do that by changing this:

to this:

Thank you, that was the problem!
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Vixii wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 am
pgimeno wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 am Hello, welcome to the forums. I may be wrong, but I think what's happening is that you have a single animation (animations.enemy) for all the enemies, and you update it once per enemy, therefore the more enemies you have, the more times in the same frame the animation will be updated.

to this:

Thank you, that was the problem!
Yeah, Lua can be tricky with its variables by reference. Deep copy is sometimes only option.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I would suggest making the jump from anim8 to rolling your own animation functions is not hard. If you're new to Lua or Love then keep doing what you're doing but consider learning about quads and tracking frames in your own table. You'll find stepping up to that level is not really hard and you'll have more options available to you.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/hwarang
A card game that brings sword fighting to life. Simple to learn, hard to master. Learn when to advance, dodge, strike and counter. Learn how to strike without being struck.
https://discord.gg/HeHgwE5nsZ